How do forum members rank the other 101st Div types

mortaydc60

mortaydc60

I have to confess that this is a weak spot in my knowledge base. OK I know about the white tongue and OD border variations but what about the others? Is the type 2 rarer than type 4, etc? Have never seen this discussed.

I can still remember seeing this item pictured below at the SOS a few years back and being amazed. Seems like an whole article could be written on the rarity of the different variations ... and we haven't even touched the WWI and inter war variations.

post-151977-0-67163100-1464485082.jpg

Mort,

When Bando started his system, he ranked them from most common (Type 1) to rarest (Type 9). The numbers above 9 are patches that he associated with post WWII manufacture. Over time, he encountered a few of them with WWII groups which muddied up his numbering system.

I would consider the "Type 14" to be the most common, with the type 10 right behind. You can then start running up his list with type 1, 2, etc.

As an aside, Bando states on his website that he has encountered equal numbers of type 1 and type 2 patches. I told him that I had one seen a section of uncut 101st patches which alternated directions when embroidered (one up, the next one upside-down). Both types were on the same sheet of cloth.

Allan

For what it is worth...I collect named uniforms and groupings. From my experience, the Type 1, 2 and 3 were the most common versions actually applied to uniforms during WWII, and I am always hard pressed to see the significant difference between the Type 1 and the Type 2. The beaks have a bit different shape, but I would call this a factory variation vice a distinct category. Thats just me. Its alway reassuring to see a 1, 2 or 3 on the sleeve when looking at a uniform...

ps-that display board is amazing!

ocsfollowme

I believe that board was split up a year or so ago, is that correct? Seller listed on ebay but no one had $10k sitting around.

mortaydc60

Thanks for the responses;I can not believe after all these years that it was as simple as Allan describes;it makes sense and most obvious. Thanks to Allan .

I believe that board was split up a year or so ago, is that correct? Seller listed on ebay but no one had $10k sitting around.

Steve,

They were split up. Here are the 2 that I got from them. I got the engraved plates for them too.

post-151977-0-32287500-1464549475.jpg

Type 10's and 14's are difficult ones. I've had a grouping to a WWII member of the 502nd that had type 10's on the jackets (41 field jacket and Ike jacket). Bando has also found type 10's in a couple of 502nd groups.

Here is what Bando says- "All Type 10's are characterized by a scribble eye-the details of which seem to be rendered with single strands of thread. Since the company which produced these in WW2, continued in production until probably 1968 (when merrowed edge Type 14s were introduced), these types create a lot of confusion. In most cases, unless you have provenance on a particular patch of this type, it is impossible to determine if it was issued during WW2 or much later. The example shown above, has the area between the tab and shield filled-in with black twill. It has provenance from Captain Bernard McKearney of E/502. I've only seen one other like this, and that is on the WW2 officers suntan jacket of Lt. Charles Matson of H/502. The few other WW2 verified examples I've seen of Type 10, have also been in the hands of 502 vets-that might mean something. I also suspect this Type was introduced late in WW2, accounting for the scarcity of examples with WW2 provenance.
The vast majority of Type 10's have an attached Airborne tab, with the usual space cut out between tab and shield. In all, Type 10's are far from rare, because so many were made after WW2. But examples with WW2 vet provenance are relatively scarce." http://www.101airborneww2.com/eaglepatchcorner2.html

Allan

If we want to talk stupidly rare when it comes to 101st patches, I would say that the beaded example that Bando has would have to be way up there. These reversed Type 8's are much rarer than standard type 8's. I know of a 101st SSI that was hand made by a POW while he was in a camp that would be a one of a kind. I guess you have to draw a line somewhere. Since the reversed Type 8 is machine embroidered and not a "one off," I'd say that is a pretty safe bet for the #1 rarity spot.

Allan

Would type 8 reversed be of most rarity?

It is probably the rarest, but in the Keller's book Emblems of Honor - Airborne ... they believe it was made in the 50's. Below are the pictures of the reverse Type 8 from the picture frame in post #2. The AIRBORNE letters are a different color and the beak slightly different.

post-151977-0-60704100-1464578389.jpg

Since we were talking about 502 patches...Here is one I got in a group recently. He was a medic in the 502, but also active post war in the 101st Association. This example looks and feels just like any WWII patch, but technically falls in to the "scribble eye" category I believe. The group originally came right from the vet, but the patch could be something he picked up after the war at a reunion or other event.

post-110-0-21030500-1464602933.jpg

Bob Carter

Reversed T8's were made in the states from a returning vet, I would classify that as post war. There are many one-offs that are rare but as a type you have to decide whether to include theater made or are you just limiting it to US made. Some theater made variants are very rare including the Brit made B5 and B6(bullion) variants and German made bulliions.