Tragic loss of Pilot and P-47 in the Hudson River

gwb123

The plane was put down in the river, and away from populated areas and river front areas. For that, the pilot should be remembered.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/27/us/wwii-plane-crash-hudson-river/?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/28/divers-recover-body-in-search-pilot-small-plane-that-crashed-in-hudson-river.html?intcmp=hplnws

Tragically, he could not escape the aircraft as it sank.

ViewfinderGyrene

Saw his skills in action for the past 8 years at Reading, PA's WWII Weekend. Greatly missed indeed. Hopefully the aircraft will be salvageable so his memory can live on through the vehicle he piloted so well.

~VFG

TheMariner

Plane was salvaged in very complete condition! The plane was basically completely whole it just sunk upon landing. Certainly fixable!

Plane was salvaged in very complete condition! The plane was basically completely whole it just sunk upon landing. Certainly fixable!

Corps of Engineers barge and crane plucked it right out of the water.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/05/28/hudson-river-plane-crash-id/

http://nypost.com/2016/05/28/rescue-crews-recover-plane-from-hudson-river-crash/

Before it flies again (and "if"), crash investigators will probably go over it from end to end to try to figure out why the engine quit.

But for being underwater, it looks in fairly good shape. Considering the wrecks that are recovered from mountain tops and jungles

and restored, this one looks like it could at least be brought back to display condition if not better.

P-47 salvage.jpg

While I read this the other day I had a thought of just selfless these pilots are. By this I mean he may have had a really good chance of survival if he put his plane down on land but time after time they fly into the water knowing they are in great danger but the folks on the land are safe from a crash. My hats off to all these pilots, and those still flying.

Bob

While I read this the other day I had a thought of just selfless these pilots are. By this I mean he may have had a really good chance of survival if he put his plane down on land but time after time they fly into the water knowing they are in great danger but the folks on the land are safe from a crash. My hats off to all these pilots, and those still flying.

Bob

Indeed, a big write up in the NY Daily News today on him.

Seeing the plane recovered in such remarkable condition makes me wonder what was the cause of death of the pilot? Has it been stated? Thanks.....Bobgee

Seeing the plane recovered in such remarkable condition makes me wonder what was the cause of death of the pilot? Has it been stated? Thanks.....Bobgee

I saw one report where witnesses said he was having trouble getting out of his harness. The plane went down very quickly taking him with it so likely drowning.

Unfortunately, it appeared he drowned while attempting to escape the plane. All the more tragic.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing this P-47 and other planes a lot, sometimes you almost forget there is a pilot in there. You think, oh cool, Jacky's Revenge will be at Reading this year, or 909 and Witchcraft are coming to our airport. This past weekend at Reading, they mentioned Bill a lot, and flew the missing man on Saturday dedicated to him. While it is a shame the aircraft is lost for the time being, nothing matters as much as the pilot not being with us anymore. RIP Bill Gordon.

Here is the airplane in happier times from a few past year appearances at Reading WWII Weekend. I know Bill was the pilot at least once in the past couple of appearances.

post-89245-0-33657300-1465521939.jpg

One of my personal favorites that I took of it.......Blue Skies Bill.

Outstanding photos Brian. Thanks for sharing them.

Beautiful bird. I'm glad it survived intact owing to skillful piloting, Sounds corny but he died doing what he obviously loved. R.I.P. Bill