Panzer Jacket brought back by Norris Gausline, 350 Inf 88 Div

rrobertscv

Originally posted by Doyler - "He was of the mind set that "the germans NEVER would have done that." When collecting German items one should always bear in mind the saying " the Germans never did it that way , except for those times they did".

Gunslinger

Has a German Militaria Dealer AUTHENTICATED this item, even though it's claimed to have been a Vet bring back?

Jacket displays some odd abnormalities as others have posted in the WAF.

What does a dealer have to do with it? Plenty of German dealers out there making as many mistakes as collectors, if not more. Seems to have opinions on both sides, it seems to be one of those pieces that the collector has to make the decision how comfortable he is with it

rrobertscv

After talking to the nearly 70 year old son of Mr. Gausline and him remembering it from his childhood, I don't feel the need for an experts opinion.

After talking to the nearly 70 year old son of Mr. Gausline and him remembering it from his childhood, I don't feel the need for an experts opinion.

Well said.

Wouldn't mind having that one in my collection ........ and I don't even collect German militaria!

Erwin

Completely agree with you. Too many collectors get wrapped up in opinions of so called "experts" and other collectors who always deal in "absolutes", as in so and so never made it or used an item this way. Some will never admit that an original user might indeed have made some alteration they have not seen before, or used an item differently than a supposed regulation stated and therefore must be fake or not original.

What does a dealer have to do with it? Plenty of German dealers out there making as many mistakes as collectors, if not more. Seems to have opinions on both sides, it seems to be one of those pieces that the collector has to make the decision how comfortable he is with it

Exactly....also how many fakes/altered items are in the books that then are used to base originality on?

I cant agree more.

Sadly posting it on WAFFLE put a tilt on it with the conflicting opinions.Opinions are not a bad thing.Just saying have seen good items(even ones I have owned) labled bad.Then the gurus bless them and th back paddling begins.Once it gets tainted by internet chatter no matter how original it is the the cloud of doubt and typically out there for ever on items posted.

Sometimes I hope to find an oddity with iron clad provenance, post it without the proof, listen to people rip it apart and the post the provenance

manayunkman

I love the jacket and would buy it.

Waffen Farb sewn directly to collar is something I've seen before many times but mostly on the grey wrapper.

Is the pink waffen farb sewn directly to the shoulder or is there a cloth shoulder board and it is sewn to that?

As far as WAF is concerned you need to learn who knows and who doesn't know what they are talking about.

I'm pretty sure Mike Pruet used to be the moderator of the Panzer section but I don't even see his name anymore.

He is one of the most knowledgeable panzer collectors and authors in the USA by far.

When I collected Panzer and Assault Gun wrappers in the early 80's he was very helpful to me.

I also had quite a few non regulation pieces that came directly from veterans that many dealers put down as fakes.

Bottom line is that there are those who know and those who who don't but think they do.

Stick with those who know what they are doing.

Sometimes I hope to find an oddity with iron clad provenance, post it without the proof, listen to people rip it apart and the post the provenance

Now that would be fun to watch!

Ah yes....the "experts"! They saw it in a book! I love this jacket and the story. Not my cup of tea, these Panzer wraps, but if they were I'd love to own this one with its provenance.

I have always said if you can pin it or sew it on there will be variations. I recently obtained a Luftwaffe Honor Goblet group to a bomber Flight Engineer who also has a German Cross in Gold. All TR collectors know that award is worn centered on the right breast pocket or in that location on a flieger blouse where there is no breast pocket. The group came with photos including two of him in his dress tunic. Guess what? His German Cross is worn BELOW the right pocket. If this tunic was seen at a show it would be labeled as "messed with" by the "experts". Just my 2-Cents.........Bobgee

rrobertscv

I love the jacket and would buy it.

Waffen Farb sewn directly to collar is something I've seen before many times but mostly on the grey wrapper.

Is the pink waffen farb sewn directly to the shoulder or is there a cloth shoulder board and it is sewn to that?

As far as WAF is concerned you need to learn who knows and who doesn't know what they are talking about.

I'm pretty sure Mike Pruet used to be the moderator of the Panzer section but I don't even see his name anymore.

He is one of the most knowledgeable panzer collectors and authors in the USA by far.

When I collected Panzer and Assault Gun wrappers in the early 80's he was very helpful to me.

I also had quite a few non regulation pieces that came directly from veterans that many dealers put down as fakes.

Bottom line is that there are those who know and those who who don't but think they do.

Stick with those who know what they are doing.

The pink waffen farb is sewn to a cloth shoulder board, not directly to the shoulder.

In all fairness to the WAF, this same sort of thing frequently happens with rare US uniforms...the ribbons aren't right, the patch is sewn too low etc etc. It is the nature of the beast. It is more pronounced with high end German items because the dollar figures are so much higher, and the level and quality of fakery is astounding in some cases (because of the dollar figures). All of the forums have pros and cons. The WAF is still the best resource on the planet for German militaria, and the US section is loaded with info as well. Just sayin'..... WAF was the prototype militaria internet forum and overall it has dramatically improved the hobby.

Eric Queen

As much as I like the uniform, seeing some people have the guts to tell the truth about "WAF" was the best part of the thread for me. I'll leave it at that.

Garth Thompson

This is a very nice bring back. Let us keep the discussion to the jacket and not get into WAF bashing, Third Reich collecting or any other topic not directly related to this spoil of war.