Panzer Jacket brought back by Norris Gausline, 350 Inf 88 Div

rrobertscv

rrobertscv

Well, beyond a doubt, this is the best estate sale item I have ever found. I know the lady who does the sales and she contacted me about what this jacket might be. I told her and offered to buy it, but she said "no, it would be a big draw". Well she listed it with the wrong name and didn't even post a photo on the sale site. I took off from work and was first in line, 2 hours early. The veterans son was at the sale, he was a junior, named after his daddy. He lives in Penn. where his dad is buried and sent me the grave photo. His mom stayed here in Tupelo after his dad died. His dad Norris R. Gausline, served with the 350 Inf 88 Div. I am going to try to do some deeper research. The son could not remember anything except his dad had always had it and kept it wadded up in a bag in the closet. The photo's show how I found it and after cleaning the cat hair and steaming it a little. Being an estate tag sale, I got it for $100.

post-285-0-87379500-1464480458.jpg

post-285-0-97781300-1464480471.jpg

post-285-0-38277300-1464480483.jpg

manayunkman

Nice later war jacket.

I used to have a very healthy Panzer collection in the early 80's.

Whats going on with the pink waffen farb?

Nice later war jacket.

I used to have a very healthy Panzer collection in the early 80's.

Whats going on with the pink waffen farb?

I was wondering that myself....Bodes

rrobertscv

After posting it on the WAF, I was contacted about the jacket being in the next edition of "Panzer Feldjacke", by Scott Pritchett. Taking it next week to have it photographed. It was discussed in depth there if you want to read more about it. It is under the Heer Uniforms and Insignia forum, the thread title is "Panzer Jacket found at an estate sale today". You can search by my user name which is the same as here. The pink color is discussed, I don't know enough about these to really elaborate.

manayunkman

Is the pink piping falling apart and are the shoulder boards sewn down all the way around ?

rrobertscv

One shoulder board and one collar tab have loose threads around them and the shoulder boards are sewn down all the way around

manayunkman

A lot of Panzer men would sew down their shoulder boards to avoid getting the caught on something.

It looks to me like all original pieces but put together in an unusual way. Sewn down shoulders I've seen before but using soutache to make the panzer tabs I've not seen. Skulls look fine, buttons do and the also eagle.

Certainly late war period and probably would be dealer described as "theatre made"

It's that unusual it has to be original.

Whatever, the skulls or eagle would cost $100 so well done mate. Great deal and an even better investment.

Lee

This is a great artifact IMO....the vast majority of German uniforms in collections have been post war restored or otherwise monkeyed with. Finding a no-kidding vet bring back German uniform is fairly rare. They were bulky and not very popular as souvenirs. More likely that the GI would cut the insignia off and keep it. I also see you've been to the WAF and discovered that in the eyes of many TR cloth collectors, there is no such thing as an original German uniform :).

rrobertscv

I have looked all over the place and can't find a comparable one to compare it too. I want to add it to my insurance coverage until I decide what I want to do with it. Any ballpark figures on how much coverage I need to have?

This is a great artifact IMO....the vast majority of German uniforms in collections have been post war restored or otherwise monkeyed with. Finding a no-kidding vet bring back German uniform is fairly rare. They were bulky and not very popular as souvenirs. More likely that the GI would cut the insignia off and keep it. I also see you've been to the WAF and discovered that in the eyes of many TR cloth collectors, there is no such thing as an original German uniform :).

LOL....I nitced the same there Andy.

I call WAF WAFFLE.They all waffle and flip flop on opinions(even with in their own posts)and no matter how many pictures cant seem to agree.I bet if there was a photo of this in the vets hands and footlocker the wafflers still would not be convinced or agree.

Years ago I atended an auction.The house was being sold and the woman was going to a care facility.There was two uniforms found and advertised.Both were german panzer officer.One was a black wrapper the other a dress tunic.Both were beautiful.

Arriving at the auction they had them hanging on the clothes like with a Captains ike jacket.I was looking them over and a dealer/collector I knew came over and said he wasnt "comfortable" with them.I asked why?Im no expert but there wasnt anything to suggest these were not real.He said the eagle on the black wrapper "wasnt right" as it was sewn on green and "should be sewn" on black.Plus the buttons werent marked.I thought seriously??

I then looked at the dress uniform.Then looked at the piping.It was the same on both.I then pointed out the eageles on both unifroms were the same.Identical bullion and bakround material.Mirror images of each other.The buttons on both were the same.None were marked but all were of the same style with same backing.The wrapper was in a blackwhip cord type gabridine material.My first thought that these are tailor made and by the same tailor.I told the guy what I thought and pointed out the items.He was still wrapped up in the green backed eagle.He of the mind set that "the germans NEVER would have done that"I just laughed in disbelief.I said think out side the box.A tailor had this on hand and used what he had.The guy wasnt convinced.I even spoke to the auctioneer and he stated the lady was 93 and her "son" lived in Austria and was retired there from the military.There was also a holster there from a Browning HP with capture paper tucked inside but no pistol.The sons name on it matched the auction listing as well as rank matched the ike jacket hanging beside the german uniforms.He was a Captain in the 42nd Infantry Div.

I wasnt able to buy the uniforms as another big dealer showed up but I gave him a good run.The guy I knew wouldnt even bid.He knew the germans"never" did things like using the wrong colored eagle.These types have let a lot of good stuff go as I have heard over the years that the germans were perfect and meticulous and "NEVER" did this or that.

Im no expert but these guys often cant see the forest for the trees.These items had been in the house since the war ended and never messed with or seen the light of day til the auction.Later I got a discharge from the county court house there for his WW2 service as I did buy the ike jacket(still have it) and contacting the auctioneer he gave me the addres to the son in Austria.I wrote him but no reply was recieved.

I think your find is fantastic and enjoy it.Its a great item.

rrobertscv

LOL....I nitced the same there Andy.

I call WAF WAFFLE.They all waffle and flip flop on opinions(even with in their own posts)and no matter how many pictures cant seem to agree.I bet if there was a photo of this in the vets hands and footlocker the wafflers still would not be convinced or agree.

Years ago I atended an auction.The house was being sold and the woman was going to a care facility.There was two uniforms found and advertised.Both were german panzer officer.One was a black wrapper the other a dress tunic.Both were beautiful.

Arriving at the auction they had them hanging on the clothes like with a Captains ike jacket.I was looking them over and a dealer/collector I knew came over and said he wasnt "comfortable" with them.I asked why?Im no expert but there wasnt anything to suggest these were not real.He said the eagle on the black wrapper "wasnt right" as it was sewn on green and "should be sewn" on black.Plus the buttons werent marked.I thought seriously??

I then looked at the dress uniform.Then looked at the piping.It was the same on both.I then pointed out the eageles on both unifroms were the same.Identical bullion and bakround material.Mirror images of each other.The buttons on both were the same.None were marked but all were of the same style with same backing.The wrapper was in a blackwhip cord type gabridine material.My first thought that these are tailor made and by the same tailor.I told the guy what I thought and pointed out the items.He was still wrapped up in the green backed eagle.He of the mind set that "the germans NEVER would have done that"I just laughed in disbelief.I said think out side the box.A tailor had this on hand and used what he had.The guy wasnt convinced.I even spoke to the auctioneer and he stated the lady was 93 and her "son" lived in Austria and was retired there from the military.There was also a holster there from a Browning HP with capture paper tucked inside but no pistol.The sons name on it matched the auction listing as well as rank matched the ike jacket hanging beside the german uniforms.He was a Captain in the 42nd Infantry Div.

I wasnt able to buy the uniforms as another big dealer showed up but I gave him a good run.The guy I knew wouldnt even bid.He knew the germans"never" did things like using the wrong colored eagle.These types have let a lot of good stuff go as I have heard over the years that the germans were perfect and meticulous and "NEVER" did this or that.

Im no expert but these guys often cant see the forest for the trees.These items had been in the house since the war ended and never messed with or seen the light of day til the auction.Later I got a discharge from the county court house there for his WW2 service as I did buy the ike jacket(still have it) and contacting the auctioneer he gave me the addres to the son in Austria.I wrote him but no reply was recieved.

I think your find is fantastic and enjoy it.Its a great item.

Thanks, I am enjoying it.

Great wrap...only a few TR uniforms I'd ever consider adding to the collection, and this is certainly one of those types. Still good stuff in the woodwork to be found, and it helps when you aren't running down the streets screaming for Nazi items.

Bob Hudson

A reminder that non-US bring backs can only be posted in the SPOILS OF WAR section. The WHAT'S IT WORTH section is for US items.

rrobertscv

A reminder that non-US bring backs can only be posted in the SPOILS OF WAR section. The WHAT'S IT WORTH section is for US items.

My mistake, didn't even think about that, sorry.

Bob Hudson

My mistake, didn't even think about that, sorry.

No problem. I personally have found that WAF is a good way to get info on TR stuff as long as you post large clear photos.

I have looked all over the place and can't find a comparable one to compare it too. I want to add it to my insurance coverage until I decide what I want to do with it. Any ballpark figures on how much coverage I need to have?

Do you have a Homeowners Policy or an HO4 (Renters Policy).

Ronnie