Navy Corpsman- Iwo Jima: Japanese KIA Helmet (Incredible)

MattStone

This helmet is part of a grouping that i acquired, named to Walter W Wolery. Wolery was a Navy Corpsman attached to the 4th Marine Division during WWII. He was at Numar, Tinian, Saipan, and Iwo Jima. It has been an absolutely wonderful time, researching the grouping, and contacting family. Wolery is still alive at the age of 91, and I have been in contact with his daughter about anything else he may have still, And possibly visiting him. This grouping came from ebay, By a seller who had purchased the group from another family member of Mr. Wolery.

Directly from Mr. Wolery...

"I took a Japanese helmet from every island i landed on"

"On Roi-Namar, I took a uniform and pants out of a young Japanese soldier's backpack. it was mostly likely his first, and last day of battle"

"On iwo Jima, I laid inside of a Japanese fuel drum, on the beach to take cover, You would dig into the sand, it would cave right back in on you. It was so hot, I cooked my food on it"

"Iwo Jima.."There had been a couple of Japanese soldiers towards to top of the MT. I took the helmet off of one of them"

Here is the 'Iwo helmet'.. Still bearing mud inside the liner, and original grass on the netting.

Thank you for looking

post-7963-0-65615000-1464362785.jpg

Thanks for sharing that: it's the second Japanese bringback helmet with original plant camo shown on the forum: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/212749-japanese-helmet-of-okinawa-pow-from-marine-mp-officer/

It is amazing when they survive like that.

Thank you, Bob. I actually saw that post before. Very nice helmet there, And history!

SEABEE SON

Very nice. I saw this one on EBay but missed bidding on it. I have an origin IJN cover with vegetation in it. Like yours, it is screw pine (Pandanus), which is prevalent on Okinawa.

Very nice. I saw this one on EBay but missed bidding on it. I have an origin IJN cover with vegetation in it. Like yours, it is screw pine (Pandanus), which is prevalent on Okinawa.

Yeah! Did you read the description? I never in my life thought it would of turned out to be a Navy Corpsman grouping. It came with his bags, belts, leggings and more. So happy i was able to get it by taking a chance!

SEABEE SON

Yeah! Did you read the description? I never in my life thought it would of turned out to be a Navy Corpsman grouping. It came with his bags, belts, leggings and more. So happy i was able to get it by taking a chance! 

Congratulations! I used to own an incredible Iwo Jima vet bring back with scrim and a three color net. I wish I had it now. The USMC vet wrote a book on his experiences on Iwo.

Bob Hudson

Yeah! Did you read the description? I never in my life thought it would of turned out to be a Navy Corpsman grouping.

The poorly written title made this one a bit of a sleeper.

M24 Chaffee

I just noticed this thread. That's an amazing piece for any WWII collector! Congrats!

Frank

• 2 weeks later...