RTO Steve Tallent, 1/8 Artillery, 25th ID Vietnam

KVSkelton

Just wanted to take a moment to say a couple words about my Wife's Uncle, Steve Tallent, who passed away on Tuesday of this week at the age of 66. Steve came from a family of those whom service to our country came naturally. His oldest brother Eddie was one of the Frozen Chosin. Another brother, Bobby, served in the USMC in the years between Korea and the Vietnam War. His brother Charlie was an Army door gunner in Vietnam. Two other brothers tried to enlist but were turned down due to medical reasons. Steve was the youngest of 11 children. He decided to enlist in the US Army (a volunteer), a fact that his USMC brother Eddie gave him no end of grief about.

Steve arrived in Vietnam in November of 1968 and was assigned to the 1st Battalion of the 8th Field Artillery of the 25th Infantry Division. Steve didn't start out to be an Radio Telephone Operator. He was originally assigned to be the driver of a deuce and and a half delivering ammo to forward units. However soon after his arrival he had an encounter with a senior NCO that led to his reassignment as an RTO. To say that Steve was opinionated and not afraid to voice those opinions is an understatement. He and I both share the trait of being a smart-alec as my Grandmother would have called it. Mostly it's used with something other than alec. This time his mouthing off cost him his, as he called it, " cushy job" and he replaced an RTO who had been KIA. He was an RTO for nine months of his tour, rotating home in November of 1969.

After rotating home, Steve eventually became a Drill Instructor at Fort Cambell. He held that position for 3 years. After some ill health, he had a lung removed in 1975. The doctor said it was about the size of your fist and black as coal. Steve always thought it was Agent Orange that caused that condition. Steve came back to east Tennessee and eventually went to work driving a dump truck for Oak Ridge National Laboratory. He retired from that job. Unfortunately somewhere during his two divorces, one soon to be former spouse destroyed all his medals and items from Vietnam. His third marriage was the best thing that ever happened to him (along with his two children and one grandchild), however, and they were together until his passing this week.

I had only known Steve for 15 years, so I'm far from qualified to give an opinion of his entire life. And all the information I have written above is from family stories or from Steve himself. I can't say it's all 100% spot on correct, but I can tell you he was an opinionated straight shooter, a tough, funny, ornery cuss who would do anything for you if he liked you. Or if you brought him another beer. I thought, and think, the world of him. He will be sorely missed by his friends and family. Steve passed away from complications of the kidneys and his one good lung. 66 is way too young... Thanks for reading.

Kevin (or as Steve called me just for spite, Calvin)

Here's a pic of Steve in uniform. Forgive the poor pic...it wasn't in very good shape when I scanned it and someone had to be cut out of it even at that.

post-7504-0-32763100-1464287314.jpg.

Thanks Robert.

That he was Mike. No different than thousands upon thousands of other soldiers who have done their duty and given a part of themselves to keep us safe...

Kevin