Navy? Shoulder Boards

QED4

Dose anyone have any idea what these shoulder boards are? They did not come on the uniform they are no now, they are the old style flat type and do not have the usual snap but are held on by a screw post button similar to the side button on a hat. When I got them one button was missing and the other one was Navy but it could be a replacement. I am guessing some sort of hospital administrator. Any body know for sure? any help will be appreciated.

post-55-1171079624.jpg

I've never seen a crossed quills over caduceus insignia like this one. And, it's in none of the reference books I have. Public Health Service is usually a horizontal anchor superimposed over a caduceus. Perhaps the PHS has insignia for more specialized skills? Medical Records?

Interesting item.

Kurt

I would guess that it MAY be a US Coast and Geodetic Survey surgeon's board or variant of the Public Health Service. Could even be a mistake.

The Wharfmaster

Good afternoon,

I would have answered this question sooner, but I ran into some technical problems.

A positive ID on the shoulder board is U.S. Maritime Service, WWII era. The insignia represents a dual occupational specialty of Purser (crossed quills) and Hospital Corps (caduceus).

Hope this helps. Jack Angolia

Thanks for the information. What reference did you use? I have not been able to find much on this subject, only the National Geographic and it shows a wreath around all of the specialty marks and dose not show this one at all. Even though I don't really collect this sort of thing I like to have references on everything.