Civil Defense Helmet

bigredone

Oh I beg to differ, I really enjoy collecting them. But it is a good thing that they are not a mainstream collectable, means they're still out there at reasonable prices. I've got a couple myself and I want to get an example of each department from WW2.

I like your example, very nice and very clean.

I've always enjoyed my CD helmets, have about 3, including a 'tin hat' remade into a CD messenger. Although it's badly rusted out it's still cool, in my opinion.

Will try and get a photo of my 'best' one posted, it's a New York Civil Defense Headquarters Helmet.

Here is one from my collection. It is part of a grouping and is identified with the boy's name penned inside. Note the handmade insignia on the front. It appears he first drew it on paper, painted/colored it, then glued it to the helmet. Must not have had the correct decal available.

post-211-1221139296.jpeg

post-211-1221139304.jpeg

I had several myself at one point. I can't remember the name of the mail order catalog but 30 years ago they had a supply of helmets with acronyms & such painted on them.

These were once present at every yard sale, but even then clean copies were very hard to come by.

I get the impression that home defense programs were poorly organized and didn't last too long outside the the border states. Any germans that could have made it to the midwest would most probably want to lay low & wait out the war. Might be hard to blow up a community that's half german.

John

Oh I beg to differ, I really enjoy collecting them. But it is a good thing that they are not a mainstream collectable, means they're still out there at reasonable prices. I've got a couple myself and I want to get an example of each department from WW2.

I like your example, very nice and very clean.

Here's two from my storage bin... sorry, I just can't get myself to display these. The only reason I've got these is because I got them for free. Yet, I can't seem to part with them. One is mint and the other... not so mint. pinch.gif

USMF_Posting_128.jpg

• 2 months later...

Mike is correct in his post the the Civilian Defense Program was very disorganized. The greatest success it had was giving the public a boost in confidence knowing it was there. Civilian Defense items and the post WWII Civil Defense items can be purchased for relatively small amounts of money compared to so many other items from these eras, a fact none of us who buy these, however occassionally it may be, will complain when we add one to our collection. They make a nice display when you add an arm band and maybe a spotters book or wardens handbook. In fact, all of the CD designations had a small handbook as well that makes a neat little display with the helmets. You can spend a little more and add a sand bucket and some other less common CD items that also sell at an undervalued amount. The only item that fetches a larger market value are the hand cranked air raid sirens. Be prepared to throw down a couple hundred bucks to get one of those. They appear on ebay regularly.

Anyway, here is my best CD helmet. The lining is intact, no dents, and a perfect label. Interesting note, this one has a woman's name hand written inside Dora Mary and is stamped Air Raid Warden Section 0-7.

post-1908-1226790667.jpg

Jim

Very nice. I have that poster, as well, and got it framed off ebay a few years back for about 10 bucks. The shipping cost me more than the poster!

It's been hectic for me of late but still want to post that CDC NYC helmet I have, hoping this weekend. I, too, have a few of those little handbooks, and they look very good with my WWII CD display.

I was lucky enough to get a hand cranked (albeit a later one) british Air Raid siren, still in it's original crate, dated about 1951, at a public sale many years ago. I also have my local air raid siren for my small town, AND the newspaper article that talked about the town getting it, from a "Manufacturing facility". It's an electric siren mounted on a handmade stool, heavy as heck...and LOUD (still works).

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a few items i have picked up in the Civil defense department. i find it prity fascinating to have found all this, helmet, armband, and all related litrature. just figured some might get a kick out of seeng this. (all dated 1942)

post-4895-1228945282.jpg