V42 scabbard help

alex9483

Hello all!

First I would like to say thanks to all the folks here for giving me hours of entertainment reading the posts from all the forum sections. Really a wealth of information. I've lurked here for a long time but finally decided to jump in participate. I want to eventually show the knives I've collected but I think you need a minimum amount of posts before you can post pics here?

I am currently trying to see if my V42 knife and scabbard are real. I'm trying to figure it out myself before asking the experts here for help, but ii's a daunting task. Just when I see a telltale sign, I run across an exception! I'm currently examining my scabbard...

Can I get help from a few V42 owners and post pics of the underside of the male and female snaps of the retaining band? Hopefully mine will match what is posted.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for posting JW517 but I am looking for a close up of the underside of both snaps.

The sheaths were mfg. by several sub contractors so In addition to the 2 lengths there are minor differences from one mfg. to the next . For example some have 7 staples and some have 8 staples at the throat , etc. Post It here so the boys can have a look Alex .

I can start taking some pics but don't I need a certain number of posts to show here?

Bob Carter

Some pics of mine I had on my computer - let me know if you need more detail.

post-329-0-40677000-1464287904.jpg

Awesome knife, yes more detail if you can please. The ricasso and underside of the scabbard snaps if you have your camera handy. if not anything would be appreciated. on the underside of my male snap, I see what looks like RAU F. CO. PROV R.I." Does yours have that?

Because I'm a new poster I see my replies are limited , I think I have only two more today.. :(

Bob Carter

Hang in there, I have a few more on my phone I'll post - more detail tomorrow

post-329-0-26795900-1464297835.jpg

Bob Carter

Ok, here you go - unfortunately the underside of my male snap is rusted and I'm not going to mess with it, hopefully the configuration of these snaps may help until someone else posts a shot of theirs.

post-329-0-26454900-1464369601.jpg

Thanks Bob your pics have been very helpful.

Yes, that's what mine looks like exactly. I've found out that Rau Co. is a very old company and made lots of fasteners for military goods during the war (among other things they made the snaps for USMC camo oufits). I think they were bought out by Scovil so I doubt Rau records went with them. I will try to contact Scovil to try anyway. So far so good on my scabbard, and since authentic scabbards are USUALLY paired with authentic knives, things are looking good!

• 3 months later...
There are not enough photo’s of the first knife to make any type of judgment. Need better and more photo’s. The second one is okay and the third one shown is definitely good. Haven’t run across scabbards that have only seven staples at the throat as opposed to eight in the last 40 yrs. of collecting military knives especially V42’s. Every V42 that I have seen had eight and not all of the staple sets used were blued but not to say there are one or two out there with seven but that is not a big factor. Not to worry about who made the snaps as there were different manufacturers of the scabbards and they in turn bought parts or used what they had at the time in the factory. There are other items to look for that are also important on the scabbard. Only, and only diamond shaped staples were used on the scabbard by the stitching to strengthen the scabbard and only seven to a side plus one more for the holding snap at the top for the knife pommel. Again, no other style was used so if you see a different type, pay close attention as there might be something wrong with the scabbard. Also, there is no set thickness for the scabbards. Some were thin and some were thick. That all comes down once again to the different manufactures of the scabbards and what thickness of the leather they had at the time of production. The grommet at the bottom could have a large hole or be small and also for the rivets at the top could be different styles. The one thing that is always the same are the diamond shaped staples. There are three different styles of scabbards that the V42 was issued in but the most common is the 20 inch scabbard. The other two are rare to find. Don't forget that the soldier did what he wanted to the knife or scabbard once he received the V42.

Bill

Bill:

Thanks very much for your expert advice. So far so good. My sheath has all the requisite details- eight blued staples at the throat, seven diamond shaped rivets on each side plus one horizontal diamond rivet on the keeper strap. Adding to the fact it has a Rau snap and the correct round rivets (?) fastening the belt loop on top... I am pretty sure it's the real thing. Another interesting detail is a name written in pencil on the back "COL Winton" My beginner's search skills have found nothing on him. I would love to show off my V42 and sheath and post pics here. I value your opinion as well as the other knowledgeable regulars here. I am new to posting here as well as technically challenged so I don't know if I am allowed to post pics and if I am I have to figure out how to do so! I have a small collection but what I have is quality and would like to show so everyone can enjoy them as I have enjoyed seeing the knives of others here. I guess I have some reading to do here and find out if/when I can post pics.

Thanks again Bill, Bob, JW for your help and pics of your awesome knives.