Department of the Army Meritorious Civilian Service Named Medal

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I picked this nice looking medal up at the flea market yesterday and the medal is named to a John O. Gurney. I found his obituary on line and he was an engineer that worked on missile programs for the Dept. of the Army for over 30 years. He retired in 1968 and he died in 1992. The person I purchased it from was contracted to clean out military facilities that were no longer in use around the DC area. With that said he found this medal in a dumpster on one of those job sites. It really is a nice looking medal that I couldn't pass up and I'm happy that it was saved from the trash.

post-1412-0-79207100-1464048003.jpgpost-1412-0-52173700-1464048012.jpg

Manchu Warrior

I would like to know when the plastic cases were actually in use? I also appreciate the comments!

TheMariner

I would like to know when the plastic cases were actually in use? I also appreciate the comments!

You see a lot of 50s and 60s production medals in the clear plastic cases!

Manchu Warrior

You see a lot of 50s and 60s production medals in the clear plastic cases!

Thanks!!

We typically think of the clear lid plastic cases as "Korean War and early Vietnam era"

I have seen a 100% original Korean Service medal set that was awarded to the service member in 1953, and also seen a Navy and Marine Corps Medal set (unissued) in the box which was dated 1966.

Anyone know of an original medal set in the clear lid plastic case dated earlier than 1953, or a set dated later than 1966?

TheMariner

We typically think of the clear lid plastic cases as "Korean War and early Vietnam era"

I have seen a 100% original Korean Service medal set that was awarded to the service member in 1953, and also seen a Navy and Marine Corps Medal set (unissued) in the box which was dated 1966.

Anyone know of an original medal set in the clear lid plastic case dated earlier than 1953, or a set dated later than 1966?

Somewhere i saw an engraved set of KIA medals issued in plastic cases, from 1969! I dont remember where i saw this as i know i never owned them!

Manchu Warrior

I appreciate the information. Thanks!

A beautiful decoration, under appreciated I think. This is me favorite of the civilian awards for aesthetics alone. I had an early Deigs & Clust and learned to appreciate the simple striking elegance of this award. A great find and save in its case