173d Combat Jump Top (Iraq)

BagmanL6

Good Afternoon,

Was fortunate enough get this direct from the Vet over the weekend. I've confirmed him on the jump manifest. Only thing missing is left sleeve SSI. Outline is 173d. I assume he probably had it removed to repatch when he joined his follow on unit and never had it done. I can live with that. Can someone provide information on why the flag is on the left sleeve and undersized. Is it because of the unit's role in NATO? Thanks.

post-150797-0-36485800-1464032167.jpg

The 173rd is (or was?) part of Allied Mobile Forces, a multi-national NATO rapid reaction force. As part of this NATO task force, the American contingent wore full colored American flag on the left sleeve below the unit patch. Not sure where the US flag is currently worn, if at all. Neat top.

Longbranch

Yes, the small US flag on the left sleeve is normal for 173rd BDU/DCU uniforms during the early 2000s. By the 173rd's deployment to Afghanistan in 2005, they were wearing the full size flag on the right sleeve (commonly on the added sleeve pocket) of their DCUs. Of course, by 2006/7, the Army had transitioned into the standard ACU uniform and the corresponding velcro-backed flag patch worn on the right sleeve pocket flap.

the small flag is commonly referred as the "italian" or "italian made", because at the time these were the only available here in Italy (173rd was based in Camp Ederle, Vicenza). Were they actually made in Italy? i don't think so, atleast they were not made in the shop (even if the lady has an embroidery machine). The general shortage of patches in italy may be the cause of your top lacking one.

You have a very nice top, any chance the soldier was in 74th LRS? Amongst the 173rd soldiers the ranger qualification is often associated with them.

BDU_Burger_Lover

There's only one thing I would like to add to what has already been said - I believe wear of the tiny US flag by US soldiers stationed in Vicenza started as early as the early 80s (if not even earlier). This was pointed out to me in another thread on a SETAF jacket from the late 70s-early 80s. Great BDU you got there!

I appreciate the information. It helps add a lot to my knowledge in regards to the top. Taucco, he was not in the 74 LRS from what I know. I appreciate the information on the shortage of flags. That gives the top more character.