COMSERVGRU 3 Circuit Riding Chaplain Patch. Is it Vietnam era?

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

It has been a good while since I posted anything and I was hoping to get info on this patch. I found the patch in a bin full of bowling patches at the flea market today for the price of $1.00. When I googled COMSERVGRU 3 the ship USS Ajax was right at the top. When I looked over the bio of the ship it stated that it was home ported in Japan. So, I at first thought the map on the patch was a poor depiction of Japan and Korea. But after reading more about the USS Ajax it stated that she spent a good bit of time in the Philippines and Vietnam. So I now believe the map is actually of Southeast Asia with the USS Ajax coming and going from the Philippines and up and down the coast of Vietnam. The patch is 6" across I do believe the patch is Japanese made but I'm not sure on the age. What are your thoughts on the patch?

post-1412-0-77368200-1463948858.jpgpost-1412-0-11637200-1463948870.jpg

firefighter

It is Japanese made. I like the sea horse, like like Abe Lincoln riding him.So it looks like a Circuit Riding Chaplain would go to the different bases camps or post giving spiritual services.

Lester Leon "Wes" Westling, Jr. (born October 19, 1930) is an American Episcopal Priest, retired U.S. Navy chaplain,Vietnam veteran, and author. His more than fifty years of ministry have included service to parishes, missionary work in the Philippines, and twenty-six years as a Navy Chaplain, including two assignments in Vietnam: first with the Third Marine Division medical and infantry battalions, and later as a circuit riding chaplain for 65 combat units throughout the Mekongand Bassac Rivers and along the Cambodian border.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_L._Westling,_Jr.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/Chaplains%20With%20Marines%20in%20Vietnam%201962-1971%20PCN%2019000309100_3.pdf

Manchu Warrior

I appreciate the information. Any other thoughts on the patch?

I appreciate the information. Any other thoughts on the patch?

My father served aboard USS Ajax from 1965 to 1967. SERVERS 3 was an embarked staff. They really had nothing to do with the ship. Ajax cruised to those ports to provide services to the Fleet. Quite often, the Flag would shift ashore in Sasebo when Ajax would go to sea. I remember a bit of animosity among us "Dependants" when the ship left but the flag guts got to stay home.

Most Chaplains in the Navy are Circuit Riders. They are assigned to a staff and travel between the units if that group.

For example, a CRUDESGRO, or PHIBGRU, what have you, may have 2-3 Chaplains assigned. When a squadron deploys, one will go with them. And bounce between ships.

While we were stationed in Sasebo, the SERVERS chaplain would also rotate services at the base Chappell with the station chaplain. BTW, Chaplains are assigned without regard to religion.

Manchu Warrior

My father served aboard USS Ajax from 1965 to 1967. SERVERS 3 was an embarked staff. They really had nothing to do with the ship. Ajax cruised to those ports to provide services to the Fleet. Quite often, the Flag would shift ashore in Sasebo when Ajax would go to sea. I remember a bit of animosity among us "Dependants" when the ship left but the flag guts got to stay home.

Most Chaplains in the Navy are Circuit Riders. They are assigned to a staff and travel between the units if that group.

For example, a CRUDESGRO, or PHIBGRU, what have you, may have 2-3 Chaplains assigned. When a squadron deploys, one will go with them. And bounce between ships.

While we were stationed in Sasebo, the SERVERS chaplain would also rotate services at the base Chappell with the station chaplain. BTW, Chaplains are assigned without regard to religion.

I appreciate the information and do you believe that this patch dates to the Vietnam era? Thanks!

Manchu Warrior

I would think yes it does date pre 1975 the USN wasn't visiting some of those ports after that.

I should have asked the question a little differently. Because I know little about patches and I was more so concerned if it was a reproduction. Are the Japanese known for reproducing patches or does it look as if it was made during the war? Thanks!

Manchu Warrior

it looks good to me as a Viet Nam era made patch

Thanks!!

• 1 year later...
Salvage Sailor

It has been a good while since I posted anything and I was hoping to get info on this patch. I found the patch in a bin full of bowling patches at the flea market today for the price of $1.00. When I googled COMSERVGRU 3 the ship USS Ajax was right at the top. When I looked over the bio of the ship it stated that it was home ported in Japan. So, I at first thought the map on the patch was a poor depiction of Japan and Korea. But after reading more about the USS Ajax it stated that she spent a good bit of time in the Philippines and Vietnam. So I now believe the map is actually of Southeast Asia with the USS Ajax coming and going from the Philippines and up and down the coast of Vietnam. The patch is 6" across I do believe the patch is Japanese made but I'm not sure on the age. What are your thoughts on the patch?

attachicon.gifchap pat fro.jpgattachicon.gifchap pat bac.jpg

Circuit Rider removable emblem for garments

CHAPLAIN CORPS U,S, NAVY

Chaplain Corps 001.jpg

Chaplain Corps 002.jpg

Manchu Warrior

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

Thanks!!

You're Welcome......This one also goes with your SERVGRU THREE Chaplain circuit rider

03 SERVICE GROUP THREE 001.jpg

03 SERVICE GROUP THREE 002.jpg