Afghan (?) bringback Darra Makarov...

Len S

I found this at a local gun show recently. It's a copy of a Russian Makarov probably made in or near the town of Darra in the tribal area of Northwest Pakistan adjacent to the Afghan border. It's a serviceable copy though one I would not want to shoot (the seller told me it was an original Russian that their shop's gunsmith had checked out and fired a full mag through with no problems) . I have no idea who brought it back from "over there" whether soldier or civilian contractor. Here are some pics.

Len

post-14135-0-81909300-1463932148.jpg

Awesome! Wonder how they got it back. I'm always fascinated at the stories of items coming back nowadays.

Does the holster have any markings?

Thanks.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie, the pistol didn't come with the ratty old Russian holster which was just added for "effect ". Whoever brought it back did it at great risk as the military takes a dim view of this type of souvenir hunting. VMI the markings are the first giveaway , they're way too crude to have been Russian applied. Folks who know Maks tell me the number of slide serrations are incorrect as well as numerous other small details.

Len

Len I have a friend who got a Makarov during Desert Storm and got it back. Crazy but he did it. His uncle brought a P38 home from WWII so he saw no reason he shouldn't be able to do the same thing.

That's a really cool piece you have there.

Ronnie