162nd AVIATION COMPANY PATCHES

firefighter

162nd Assault Helicopter Company was part of the 11th Combat Aviation Battalion, 12th Group, 1st Aviation Brigade (all non-divisional Army Aviation units in Vietnam). It was as Phouc Vinh in 1967 when I was with the 11th. The 11th was the test case and first Aviation Battalion formed to serve a particular Infantry Division (First Infantry Division in the case of the 1tth CAB). In 1967 it had four assault helicopter companies: the 116th At Chu Chi (which it lost early in the year in exchange for an artillery spotter unit at Phu Loi the 184th Avn Co.), the 128th at Phu Loi, the 162nd at Phuoc Vinh (serving the 16th Infantry Brigade) and the 173rd at Lai Khe (serving the 28th Infantry Brigade).

Assault helicopter companies were divided into slick platoons and gunship platoons. The 162nd was referred to as the "Vultures" when I was there. Gunship platoons often had a separate name for themselves. "Copperheads" might have been the name adopted by the 162nd gunship platoon (but that's simply conjecture on my part).

• 5 years later...
13 minutes ago, AndrewHL said:

Great patch!

Thanks! 

If the unit was currently in existence, the motto would no doubt be "Treat them with dignity and respect - just frighten them a bit"