U.S. White Plastic Canteens Arctic or Aviation use etc ?

northcoastaero

northcoastaero

Back during the late 1980s, I saw a couple of white plastic canteens for sale at a show. They were the

same as the olive drab green U.S. issue ones, only in white and not desert tan. I thought that they

were for Arctic use. I have been told by someone that the white ones were used inside aircraft such

as the S-2 Tracker E-1 Tracer C-1 Trader series and possibly variants of the A-3 Skywarrior, etc. These

canteens were contained in a special pouch that attached to the bulkhead behind the cockpit or on the

side. I am curious if anyone has these white canteens or special pouches in their collection and can

verify their specific use? Also, what are the markings on these items. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank-you.

Third Herd

I figure that the white canteens are just like the black, tan, and pink ones. Somebody has a mold and makes them in different colors, they can sell more that way. The white one I bought is marked US 1976 above R&D in a diamond. The tan and black ones US 1980 over H.I.P.

northcoastaero

Thank-you for the reply. Interesting point. I just never saw the white ones for sale in any of the surplus stores or catalogs

such as: US Cavalry, Brigade Quartermaster, etc.

hbtcoveralls

They were available to Army Navy stores from wholesalers like Rothco etc. Military canteens are normally 3 piece construction, while the ones made for the civilian market are two piece affairs with the cap and ring being molded together. We used to be able to order them in Red, white Blue, Green and Black.

Tom Bowers

northcoastaero

I have never seen the red and blue ones. What years were they manufacturing these two colors? What about the possibility the red, white, and blue ones being made for the United States Bicentennial 1776-1976? Third Herd mentioned above that his white canteen is dated 1976. Also, I have seen drawings in a NATOPS Douglas A-3 Skywarrior flight manual that shows the canteens in their pouches mounted on the side of the cockpit. These were black and white drawings, so I do not know the color of the canteens. Thanks all for your help.

M60 Driver

Never saw any white canteens in anyone's duffel bag, but purchased civilian models by the 60-pack in white, OD, and black for my old surplus store. They all had some faux military marking from the molds.

northcoastaero

M60 Driver,

What year did you purchase the white ones for your store? I just saw some blue canteens listed on ebay.com .

Current civilian manufactured items.?

Never saw any white canteens in anyone's duffel bag, but purchased civilian models by the 60-pack in white, OD, and black for my old surplus store. They all had some faux military marking from the molds.

I buy that, these makers just made this otherwise utilitarian item for the civilian market in other nice colors other than the GI Drab.

• 2 months later...