F Troop, 17th Cavalry Guidon

VMI88

I picked up this framed F Troop, 17th Cavalry guidon today - unfortunately there was no provenance. The guidon itself measures about 16 1/2" x 24". It appears to exhibit genuine light age staining but is in excellent condition overall. Instead of a sleeve for a staff it has three sewn cloth ties. I've tried to take good pictures but it's a little difficult with the glare off the glass.

post-265-0-54266000-1463873609.jpg

The 17th Cavalry was activated in 1916 and deactivated in 1921 but I don't think this guidon is that old. It was reactivated in 1957 with F troop being assigned to the 196th Infantry Brigade in Vietnam. After returning from Vietnam the unit was assigned to the 10th Mountain Division and continues to serve today.

Thanks - I'd like to think it was Vietnam-made. F/17 served in Vietnam from 1966-1972 and claims to be the last ground cavalry unit to conduct operations in country. There's a website at http://www.ftrp17cav196.com/ with additional information. They do picture a guidon used in country (image from their website below) but it's not exactly like mine. It could even be a US-manufactured version: the detail just isn't good enough to tell.

post-265-0-06452200-1463925414.jpg

The Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association website (http://museum.vhpa.org) shows a couple of guidons from air cavalry units that appear to be theater made. This one is reported to have been presented to the commander of A Troop, 7th Squadron, First Cavalry:

post-265-0-03935200-1463925675.jpg

The letters are somewhat stylized, though not as much as mine, and it has a sleeve rather than cloth ties. Otherwise it looks pretty similar.

And here's one from the same website for Gun Platoon, H Troop, 10th Cavalry that uses a different lettering style but does have ties:

post-265-0-08625300-1463925843.jpg

Hopefully some of the forum experts can help me identify mine!

I think these smaller ones with ties were used on vehicle antennae whips and things. Neat piece!