Remington Model 870 Riot in this picture?

439th Signal Battalion

439th Signal Battalion

What do you think that this 199th LIB soldier has? A Remington 870 riot? At first I thought perhaps an Ithaca 37, but I don't believe so by looking at the flange where his fingers rest on the upper part of the forearm and the nut for the magazine plug...

I had always thought that the 870's were primarily USMC and Navy issue. However, since the 199th did some operations with the Brown Water Navy and the 9th ID south of Saigon, it is possible that this shotgun was used there and never returned.

post-4009-0-08978700-1463866914.jpg

Patchcollector

I had always thought that the 870's were primarily USMC and Navy issue.

The USAF used the 870 too

Certainly looks like a Remington 870. Here is a picture of one of my 870s (Colombian National Police). Hope this helps.

13278015_10153589128551129_880512447_n.jpg

Definitely not an Ithica 37. They are bottom ejecting and did not have a right side loading/ejection port.

Thanks, Al.

bigkahunasix

Remington 870 alright.

And for the record, the USMC still had Ithaca, Winchester and Remington shotguns in the issue inventory well into the 80's.

most Remington 870P or riot models have a 18" barrel, the one shown in the old B&W photo looks like it has a 20" inch barrel.

According to Bruce Canfield's book on Combat Shotguns, all branches of the service used the 870 during the Vietnam era, most with a 20" or 21" barrel. The USMC version, the Mark I, is easily recognized by the 21" barrel, the extended magazine and the bayonet lug with added sights.