WANT TO BE A BIG RED ONE? SHOP AT SEARS!

BEAST

John Lennon wore a fatique shirt with this patch for a few years.

Now THIS, would look Cool on some clothes .....

2nd%20Inf%20Div.jpg

or, would it be "Considered" Politically INCORRECT .??? :lol:

IM ONLY KIDDING ..... !! dont shoot. :)

I agree, if you didnt earn it .... Dont wear it. just my 2 cents.

Carey

Corpl. Cleaver
Wow ! Big Red One made in China !

To you all teens, reenactors and airsofters : go to the Army. Good uniforms, good gear, bad food. And earn your own rank.

Well... I'm 16, I don't have a lot of money, if I pay good money for something, I'm gunna use it, not just hang it in my closet never to be seen again... If you told me to go get a light jacket I would come back wearing a Nam utility jacket from the 3rd Armored or from the 7th Army, if you told me to get a winter jacket I would come back wearing a M-41 or M-43. Just wearing them as street clothes no-one has ever thought I was in the army (well, ok there was this old lady...) everyone just thinks I am in the Boy Scouts... (yes, even if has a Nam era bright yellow and black U.S. Army patch on it...)

Before I was wearing a shirt with the 103rd ID patch on it (the unit I used to reenact) and I met a 103 vet, and he was so happy that someone remembered his unit.

My brother had a T-shirt that said somethng like Dong Nang, Vietnam U.S. Army Surfing team 1967 or something like that, and a Nam vet comes over and shakes his hand and thanks him for wearing that T-shirt. Said he had been over there for a few tours...

I see no problem wearing parts of uniforms as street clothes.

Now an entire set of BDUs with jumpboots... that I'ed have a problem with...

post-214-1221056946.jpg

This young european popstar, I am sure have absolutely no clue neither disrespect for the USAF ranks he wore on his fashion shirt.

Most of the kids/teens who wear army clothes dont give a damn about the ranks and patches, they wear the jackets with patches because they bought them with the patches on and they think it looks cool.

Some dont like the Army, some like it and the huge majority have no opinion about it because the draft is over in most European countries.

In France, the older F1, F2 and even newer camo F2 BDUs could be seen on the back of many people around, from bums to trendy fashion victims... and I really dont give a damn about it. If I see a pretty girl wearing a F2 jacket with my old unit patch on the shoulder, C'est la vie ! wink2.gif

The only insignia, patches, emblems I'd have a problem seeing on someone who didn't earn them, civilian or not would be the special ones like CIB, PH, the stars... basically, anything given for valor or combat distinction... para, SEALs, SF, that kind of thing.

Ranks, most units, longevity etc etc etc seems okay to me. Seeing wings and other quals would be kinda weird, but they ARE very cool looking.

As for re-enactors in uniform... that doesn't bother me at all. If they have the gumption to pull all that stuff together long after the fact, then they are showing a high degree of respect and deserve some in return.

I found this picture sometime last year. It's a picture of Rupert Grint from the Harry Potter movies, and he's English. I'm sure this upset more than a few vets. I had a set of BDU's in high school a friend of mine in the 19th Special Forces gave me. I wore them to school for halloween and the only comment I got was from a member of the Natioal Guard. He said "at least your wearing them the right way". My intention was out of respect for my friend. My guess is most of the celebs that wear this stuff have no clue as to what it is because it's "chic".

post-3094-1221088567.jpg

Manchu Warrior
John Lennon wore a fatique shirt with this patch for a few years.

This is a photo of Lennon wearing the 2nd ID top which also has an Imjin Scout patch on it. As far as my opinion on people who have not served wearing uniforms this is it. Both of my teenage boys wear my old BDU tops and even wear anything from old WWII HBT tops to a Vietnam 1st Cav top I have. I left the rank and SSI's and Army tags on the tops but other than my own name tags I did remove all other name tags. The only uniform they are not allowed to wear is the current issue uniform and believe me even though both of my boys were JROTC Cadets no one will mistake them for soldiers. They also know what era uniform top they are wearing so if anyone is interested they can give them information on it. So, I believe if someone wears the uniform top with respect, not the complete uniform, and does not try to pass themselves off as soldiers I have no problem with it.

post-1412-1221089529.jpg

I don't have a problem with John Lennon wearing that. He was often seen in that shirt in the mid 70s, and I think was even on an album cover with it.

This is a photo of Lennon wearing the 2nd ID top which also has an Imjin Scout patch on it. As far as my opinion on people who have not served wearing uniforms this is it. Both of my teenage boys wear my old BDU tops and even wear anything from old WWII HBT tops to a Vietnam 1st Cav top I have. I left the rank and SSI's and Army tags on the tops but other than my own name tags I did remove all other name tags. The only uniform they are not allowed to wear is the current issue uniform and believe me even though both of my boys were JROTC Cadets no one will mistake them for soldiers. They also know what era uniform top they are wearing so if anyone is interested they can give them information on it. So, I believe if someone wears the uniform top with respect, not the complete uniform, and does not try to pass themselves off as soldiers I have no problem with it.

post-1412-1221089529.jpg

I agree with Cleaver. But,if it's approved by the Army it has to be good....hehehehe. Take for example the ACU or ICU (I see you) uniform. Terrible design... pinch.gif .

Andrew

I will wear my BDU's, proud to show I respect and support the US military!

I would like to know HOW this money is going to used in MWR, is it really going to improve base gyms, clubs and so on,,or is going to the bosses so they get more money at the end of the year. After all MWR is about every soldier E-1 and up and there familes. By the way, I know how MWR works I worked for them for a while,,and was not happy with what I saw..

I was OPCON to the 2nd ID and I'm entitled to wear it as a combat patch.... with that said I have no problem with John Lennon wearing that shirt. Now if I was in a bar and John Lennon came up to me and started to tell me a bunch of war stories like how he saved my life on Omaha beach I'd proceed to kick his rump. Actually, as a peace activist why would he even wear such a thing? :P

post-1412-1221089529.jpg

Why did soldiers in vietnam put peace symbols on their camo helmet cover? Irony!

I was OPCON to the 2nd ID and I'm entitled to wear it as a combat patch.... with that said I have no problem with John Lennon wearing that shirt. Now if I was in a bar and John Lennon came up to me and started to tell me a bunch of war stories like how he saved my life on Omaha beach I'd proceed to kick his rump. Actually, as a peace activist why would he even wear such a thing? :P

Why did soldiers in vietnam put peace symbols on their camo helmet cover? Irony!

As good soldiers they did as ordered but somehow had to tell the higher ups that they and their politician's war were, in their opinion which they are not allowed to state while in uniform, were wrong and wearing the peace symbol was their method of disagreeing with the policy. I doubt any irony was intended as the intended message was to ask those in power to make a peace treaty because the war sucked.

There weren't all THAT many who put the peace symbol on their helmets, but... considering what they were doing with their lives in those days, they could wear any dang symbol they pleased.

For that matter, who has MORE interest in peace than someone in combat uniform?

Apparently, a lot of soldiers did according to eBay :P

Yeah... :D

It would seem like it, but those ones that do make it onto ePay get there BECAUSE they're relatively unusual considering the hundreds of thousands of troops who wore the suit in that war.

It'd be nice to have some personal testimony from troops who did actually put the symbol on their gear, as to when and why they did so, what it meant to THEM, vs. what WE think or assume it meant to them.

I'd like to be able to ask John Lennon why he chose to wear that 2nd ID shirt too... his answer might surprise us all!

John Lennon must have bought this shirt because the 2nd Inf SSI looked cool to him and it was the trend among hippies to wear army surplus clothing.

Keep in mind that John was not born a peacenik hippy. He was a Teddy Boy in his teenage days and must have had his fair share of street bovvering and dancehall brawls.

Captainofthe7th

I'd like to add my two cents!

I wear a military jacket nearly everyday to school. However, I leave it blank. My most used is a Nam slant pocket jacket - no rank, no US Army tape, so SSI, and ABSOLUTELY NO CIB. Same with my m43 and HBT shirts. They're comfortable, rugged, functional jackets.

If I didn't earn it, I won't wear it unless I'm doing a first person impression. For example, the only time I will EVER wear a CIB is when I dress up as my grandfather and wear his original uniforms from Korea. I believe that is an understandable use. Besides, there are two kinds of people who will see me. Veterans and the educated like will understand what I am doing, especially after I thank them. The "other" kind of people will just see it as an "army medal" and pass on by.

I'm not sure where I went with this but that's my view! I agree with the philosophy of "if you didn't earn, don't wear it"

Rob

"if you didn't earn, don't wear it"

I don't where army issue out for social life,

The only thing I ever worn out was a old vietnam shirt with a patch once. and never again

Manchu Warrior

My 18 year old son is in college and he had a BDU top on this week with Major rank and Airborne Special Forces tab and an old vet at the school stopped him and they talked for more then a half hour about military history. The old vet knew my son was not in the Special Forces and I will say it again as long as they don't act as if they earned them why should it matter? By the way my son drives my van with Infantry and proudly served stickers on it, should I peel the stickers off or is is ok that he drives it even though he is not a veteran? think.gif

Captainofthe7th

That is up to you Manchu. I don't mean to come across that everyone should obey my philosophy, that's just what I do. I respect what anyone else does. My girlfriend has veteran license plates, but there's nothing she can do about that!

The main thing I have a problem with is a CIB/CMB or Wings. Moslty with the CIB and CMB though, because it really takes something to earn those.

As for other insignia, one of the pros of wearing it is getting stopped by vets and other enthusiasts and chatting for a while!

Rob

From my experience, people don't appreciate civilians wearing, for example, that Major rank and SF insignia. Many view insignia as something you earn, not what you wear casually on a jacket.

Up to you, but fair warning... Personally, I would never feel comfortable wearing a jacket that had insignia just for that reason. Mainly because it feels like you are representing someone or something you are not.

Manchu Warrior

You all keep saying that veterans don't appreciate civilians wearing military clothing yet my son has only received positive feedback. My son wears BDUs with CIBs and no one has of yet mistaken him for a combat vet. I see no difference in my son wearing them and people who do living history. After all, I go to the military show at Cal Ripken Stadium and there all kinds of kids and adults wondering around with all sorts of military clothes on. As a veteran myself I would not feel comfortable wearing someone else's uniform but I do occasionally wear a field jacket or gortex jacket, my own, in the winter and I have worn out all those brown t-shirts and boots as a civilian. I do have limits though I would not let my boys parade around wearing medals or as I said in a full uniform. I also believe it is in how you carry yourself. And if my son wanted to go to a anti-war rally I would not let him wear a uniform, unless of course he was a veteran himself. In the end I guess I better tell my son to stop wearing his Baltimore Raven's jersey after all I don't want people to ever assume that he believes he is Ray Lewis.