Reproduction USAAF Patches

Hawk914

I've been hesitant to post these here because they're not original period pieces. But after some thought and a recent comment by a fellow forumite, I've decided to do so.

Patch painting is a hobby that I started more than ten years ago. I had previously been a pencil artist (graphite and color) and was getting tired of that medium, so decided to try something different.

At that time I couldn't afford to buy original USAAF squadron patches (still can't!) and thought that I'd start a collection consisting of my own work. So, although I've done some stuff for others from time to time, I paint these mostly for myself. As an artist I sometimes embellish details a bit, but do try to keep within the spirit of the originals... for the most part.

All of these are roughly 5 inches in diameter except the Fourteenth AF patch, which is a three inch piece. The 66th FS patch is not round (obviously!) but it's also a 5 incher.

Although I've been doing this for quite some time, I've finished relatively few patches... probably about 30 or 40. (With many others which are unfinished.) The most limiting factor has been the leather; I've been trying to find a steady and inexpensive supply of good quality stuff that's of the type I prefer. No luck so far.

Anyhoo, hope ya'll enjoy this sampling...

1-406BS.jpg

2-709BS447BG.jpg

3-532BS381BG.jpg

4-442BS320BG.jpg

9-66FS57FG.jpg

8-4FG.jpg

7-61FS56FG.jpg

6-351FS353FG.jpg

5-XIVAF.jpg

Fade to Black...

I'll post these as well...

Here's a three-inch Seventh AF emblem I stuck on a ball cap... the Fourteenth AF patch posted above is also on a cap...

DCP_7500a.jpg

Here's a patch that I put on a denim jacket... it just went with the overall color scheme of the garment...

DCP_7499a.jpg

And here's one of the few attempts I've made at painting directly onto a jacket... it exhibits quite a bit of cracking and flaking, a problem that I have yet to solve to my satisfaction...

DCP_7495a.jpg

Fade to Black...

• 10 months later...
Johnny Signor
Thanks much, glad you like!

Fade to Black...

Hello,I'm a leather patch artist/seller I have been making/selling them for over 20 years,I usually get my leather from Tandy leather,it's the 3-4 ounce type in a half side,it's a good quality type anf fairly thin too,I haven't experienced any problems with it.

Johnny Signor [email protected]