VPW-2 Barometric Buzzards

hink441

Here is a neat belt buckle from 1946. I read up on this squadron and I believe this is a Disney created Squadron design.

The squadron was a Navy unit and was called Weather Reconnaissance Squadron 2 (VPW-2). They were a Typhoon Chaser squadron and were based in the Philippines just after the War. VPW-2 only lasted 11 months and was disbanded. So I would imagine there are not many squadron patches out there. I was lucky to find this buckle.

Can someone tell me if this is a Disney design?

Thanks,

Chris

post-10825-0-00776200-1463792999.jpeg

disneydave

Yes this is a Disney design. It's in my database. Created by artist Hank Porter. I don't have the creation date. Nice looking belt buckle!

Yes this is a Disney design. It's in my database. Created by artist Hank Porter. I don't have the creation date. Nice looking belt buckle!

Thanks Dave, I believe the creation date would be a very limited time frame. This squadron was only around for 11 months Dec 45 to Nov 46. Thank you and Northcoastaero for your thoughts.

The Philippine craftsman that engraved this buckle definetly had some incredible skills!!

Chris

disneydave

Johnny solved the question of when this design was created. The image he posted is the card on file at the Disney archives.

The 46-242 tells us the design was created in April 1946. The first number is the month, the second is the last number for the year, and the numbers after dash are a photo negative file number. This string of numbers changed slightly in the 1950s but that's how you decipher the 1940s reference numbers.

Thanks for posting that Johnny!

• 3 years later...

This has got to be the coolest Phillipines belt buckle I've seen to date!!!

Thank you, it is one of my favorites!!

Chris