101st Airborne finally converts to Air Assault - Hoax article

triplecanopy

The Screaming Eagles of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) are projected to change their shoulder insignia on 1 January 2017 as shown below. In Vietnam, the 101st Airborne Division had Air Mobile in parenthesis after Airborne and later in 1974 pioneered the 1st Air Assault school at Fort Campbell Kentucky. It looks like they are now dropping the long associated title of Airborne and replacing it with the Air Assault tab. The long gone 11th Air Assault Division (test) at Fort Benning, Georgia developed the Air Assault concept back in the 1960's. These concepts were further tested and proven in combat in the jungles and rice paddies of Vietnam. The 101st Airborne Division is my old combat unit from 1970-1971 and I am a bit nostalgic about this change. Oh well, no one asked me.

post-48217-0-69487300-1463753583.jpg

Very interesting, and it may answer a question I have about the 101st Air Mobile / Air Assault units....I just picked up this Desert Storm era flight suit that's patched to the 101st and couldn't figure out why the flightsuit had 101st patches on it....I'm assuming now it would've belonged to an Air Assault helicopter pilot?

Rick

post-9167-0-33017700-1463754690.jpg

triplecanopy

That would be the logical explanation. Helicopter pilots wear nomex flight suits and yours appears to be correct for a CW3 Warrant Officer with a previous combat tour with the 101st and also currently assigned to the 101st. The velcro spot on the chest would have been most likely for a Battalion or Squadron patch. The 101st, if I recall correctly, has more helicopters than any other US Division.

This makes me wonder, will the "Airborne" tab be worn above the patch when worn as a combat patch?

rustywings

No apologies necessary Triplecanopy. We all learned from this one. Thanks for your efforts regardless...

triplecanopy

If you look at this old award folder, you can understand why I might have believed the title change. This folder is from Vietnam around 1970-71. Notice the name of the 101st on the folder. The official name has been tinkered with before.

We were "Airmobile" during my time with the 101st. Great outfit!

post-48217-0-33260600-1464114943.jpg

• 3 years later...

If you look at this old award folder, you can understand why I might have believed the title change. This folder is from Vietnam around 1970-71. Notice the name of the 101st on the folder. The official name has been tinkered with before.

We were "Airmobile" during my time with the 101st. Great outfit!

post-48217-0-33260600-1464114943.jpg

That's a rare item, the 101 was retitled the 101st Air Cavalry Division very briefly, it was retitled this around early July, one source gives a 1 July 1968 date, but by 26 August 1968 it was apparent that this redesignation was not FLYING as it were, and the division was officially retitled 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile), so this folder dates from that small window, at least when it was made, item like this and any others that might have had this designation for the division may have been floating around still for awhile and not discarded.

Here's a great photo of the divisional band at Cp Eagle in May of 1971 with the new divisional title on the band's bass drum.

post-34986-0-98779500-1440386245.jpg

Thanks for bringing this to the forefront Triple C. I am grateful that I know it's a hoax now so I didn't get suckered in. Well done and in the most excellent spirit of desire to edify your brothers in collecting.