Help with this USMC Ribbon Bar.

pacreamer

Hello Everyone,

I need help with a Marine's ribbon bar. I know the top award is a Presidential Unit Citation. Bottom left is Asia-Pacific Campaign ribbon and bottom right is WW2 Victory medal. I'm not sure what the award in the middle of the bottom row is. Perhaps Marine Expeditionary Medal or Marine Selective Reserve Award however, both would be in the wrong order.

I know with this photo it is tough to tell because of the sepia toned image but I appreciate all help!

post-159950-0-96969000-1463751876.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is the Organized Marine Corps Reserve Medal. A lot of guys wore ribbons out of order during the war years, so you can't use that as a discriminator.

-Ski

Bruce Linz

Hello,

Wonderful picture of this Marine. Since the photo is lightly colorized I would think that it is a poorly colored Organized Marine Corps Reserve Medal. Also if those are plastic coated ribbons the glare could be distorting ribbon's color.

Semper Fi,

Bruce

This particular Marine was my good friend's Grandfather. He was with the 2nd Marine and from what I've been told, fought in Saipan and Iwo Jima. He then was in japan for a bit as well. I was able to meet him once. He ended up taking home a large Japanese Flag and a Japanese carbine rifle. I wonder what else he had!

• 4 years later...
BANGMilitaria
On 5/20/2016 at 10:09 AM, pacreamer said:

This particular Marine was my good friend's Grandfather. He was with the 2nd Marine and from what I've been told, fought in Saipan and Iwo Jima. He then was in japan for a bit as well. I was able to meet him once. He ended up taking home a large Japanese Flag and a Japanese carbine rifle. I wonder what else he had!

That's a wonderful photo, and great that you have the family connection! The added campaign star to the WWII Victory ribbon is a very interesting touch. Did you ever get the chance to know this marine or your grandfather personally?

That's a wonderful photo, and great that you have the family connection! The added campaign star to the WWII Victory ribbon is a very interesting touch. Did you ever get the chance to know this marine or your grandfather personally?

I was able to meet this Marine once. He was my good buddy’s grandfather.

I was lucky enough to know a whole slew of WW2 vets in my family. My my grandfathers served and all my great uncles. One uncle was shot down over Poland in Sept 44. I had another relative that was with 74th Fighter Squadron in Kunming China. I was a real treat hearing all their stories growing up. I miss them all dearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BANGMilitaria
On 4/26/2021 at 2:55 PM, pacreamer said:

I was able to meet this Marine once. He was my good buddy’s grandfather.

I was lucky enough to know a whole slew of WW2 vets in my family. My my grandfathers served and all my great uncles. One uncle was shot down over Poland in Sept 44. I had another relative that was with 74th Fighter Squadron in Kunming China. I was a real treat hearing all their stories growing up. I miss them all dearly.

Wow, what an pleasure that must've been! So lucky to hear all those stories firsthand. All the WWII vets in my family passed away before I got interested in history, sadly. However, I inherited some great items of theirs! Did you end up with any of your relatives' items from the military? I've also had the good fortune of interviewing dozens of local WWII vets in the past few years.  

Wow, what an pleasure that must've been! So lucky to hear all those stories firsthand. All the WWII vets in my family passed away before I got interested in history, sadly. However, I inherited some great items of theirs! Did you end up with any of your relatives' items from the military? I've also had the good fortune of interviewing dozens of local WWII vets in the past few years.  

That’s awesome you had the opportunity to interview many vets. That must be great!

I did end up with some items from their time in the service. Many books, patches, medals. My favorite being a last ditch type Arisaka rifle with an unground mum.