21st Bomb Squadron Embroidered Patch - My first repro project!

stratasfan

stratasfan

I've always admired Johnny Signor's leather patches, and yesterday found that this is the board where he posts a lot of them! Actually, if it wasn't for him, I would never have ever thought of making my own patch. I have already gotten everything to try painting one myself, but haven't actually done one yet! However, this past autumn, I wanted to make a patch for a friend. He is a forum member on here who has been so nice about helping me learn about wings. His patience and willingness to answer questions for me has really been one of the top highlights of my entrance into militaria collecting. (Wings . . . that is how it all started and he has helped me tons!) His Grandfather served in the Aleutians at the same time as my GGGUncle, although they were in different squadrons. So . . .

He sent me a link one day to a patch on eBay that was for his Grandfather's squadron. It was the 21st Bomb Squadron, and is a Disney bee holding a bomb over his head, in attack position. At first, I thought of painting it, but then I wasn't sure how it would come out. I love hand sewing, and it just sort of happened before I really thought about it. I got a piece of wool felt and my cotton thread out, and decided I would just embroider one myself.

In the end, it took about 16 hours to make. I did it all by hand (no machine was involved at any time). It was definitely something fun to do and I loved the Disney cartoon! Her are some pictures. I hadn't thought of posting this, but then Johnny wanted to see a picture and I thought some others on here might enjoy seeing it!

Here is the finished patch, above a ruler showing inches:

post-151812-0-02543300-1463746490.jpg

Here is the back of the patch:

post-151812-0-75396000-1463746539.jpg

Here is a picture of the patch as a work-in-progress (I think this was when I was about 4 hours into it):

post-151812-0-09713100-1463746594.jpg

I've always admired Johnny Signor's leather patches, and yesterday found that this is the board where he posts a lot of them! Actually, if it wasn't for him, I would never have ever thought of making my own patch. I have already gotten everything to try painting one myself, but haven't actually done one yet! However, this past autumn, I wanted to make a patch for a friend. He is a forum member on here who has been so nice about helping me learn about wings. His patience and willingness to answer questions for me has really been one of the top highlights of my entrance into militaria collecting. (Wings . . . that is how it all started and he has helped me tons!) His Grandfather served in the Aleutians at the same time as my GGGUncle, although they were in different squadrons. So . . .

He sent me a link one day to a patch on eBay that was for his Grandfather's squadron. It was the 21st Bomb Squadron, and is a Disney bee holding a bomb over his head, in attack position. At first, I thought of painting it, but then I wasn't sure how it would come out. I love hand sewing, and it just sort of happened before I really thought about it. I got a piece of wool felt and my cotton thread out, and decided I would just embroider one myself.

In the end, it took about 16 hours to make. I did it all by hand (no machine was involved at any time). It was definitely something fun to do and I loved the Disney cartoon! Her are some pictures. I hadn't thought of posting this, but then Johnny wanted to see a picture and I thought some others on here might enjoy seeing it!

Here is the finished patch, above a ruler showing inches:

attachicon.gif 21st Patch ruler f.JPG

Here is the back of the patch:

attachicon.gif 21st Patch back f.JPG

Here is a picture of the patch as a work-in-progress (I think this was when I was about 4 hours into it):

attachicon.gif 21st Patch work f.JPG

Wow...unbelievable work...your are a Artist.

Johnny Signor

Wowzer, that is VERY nice work and accurate in details and colors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it may have taken you some time to make it but it was well worth the effort !!!!!!

Johnny

here's a Leather version I did some time back , note mine has the lesser seen "number" box below the bee ,I also added a color background via customers prefference .

post-2068-0-32191100-1463770134.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Simply amazing Elizabeth, you could make a living sewing repo patches!, I bet you've already had some requests come in. It's looks perfect.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

stratasfan

Thanks for the kind comments! I was unsure what collectors would think about it, so I wasn't sure about putting it up. It was such a fun present to do! I have thought of doing another patch at some point, but it kind of depends on what the design would be and I would feel terrible at charging what it would take for a patch. Well . . . I also wouldn't know what to charge! But, I have thought of doing something else in the future. I have often thought of trying one of the Allies in Norway patches. Saw a picture on one of the boards here and it was cool. Who knows?

Johnny - Love your leather version! Thanks for posting it! You always inspire me to get out my paints! However, last time I got out my thread . . . ;)

It looks amazing!!!

I thought at first glance that you had digitized it on a computer.. even more impressed that it was all done by hand!

top notch work.

-Brian

• 4 months later...