A Couple of "Phillips Publications" Airborne Wings

I was going through some of the insignia that I have acquired over the years and was surprised to find not just one, but two different parachute badges that are hallmarked "Phillips Publications." Collectors who have been around the block a time or two have most likely encountered this maker at one time or another. I remember the first time that I encountered one. It was in the possession of a WWII paratrooper veteran. When I asked him about it, he told me that someone had sent them to him asking to trade a set of his wings for the ones that the vet had in his possession. I recall at the time wondering just how many WWII wings the guy who sent the wings out had managed to acquire with this interesting idea.

What I found interesting about these two wings is that both have the classic Phillips D handled fighting knife logo, but the master HALO badge also has a maker's number.

Here you can see that both wings are sta-brite. The parachute badge is full size and has a combat star affixed to the shroud lines. The badge is not pierced, so the star is professionally applied. The HALO wing is a miniature.

While searching for info on the Phillips wings, I happened upon Joe W's website where he actually manufactures a "quality reproduction" of this maker. Here is what you will find on the site-

"These are very rare paratrooper badge. Phillips Publications of Williamstown,, NJ had these badges also made for sale at military shows. These have also become extremely rare and this is a museum quality reproduction of that badge. It is hallmarked Phillips Publications and sterling. This badge is also rather thick and heavy." Here is a link- http://www.1903.com/Sterling-Paratrooper-badge-pin-back-Phillips-Publications-p1259.html

post-151-0-64793900-1463718686.jpg

Here is a close-up of the maker's mark. I find it rather interesting that this wing is considered to be so rare that it is now being reproduced.

Allan

post-151-0-93827800-1463719545.jpg