Unknown Felt patches

bwishoff

Hi!

Looking for help identifying these patches.

My Dad left me a large collection of military medals and patches... I've identified most of them, but some have me stumped.

I'm hoping to post these stumpers here over time.

Particularly interested in the patch with the "S"

I think the others are service bars, but they are awfully large... haven't found any similar.

All the patches are completely made of felt... are they old?

These patches were stored together. My Dad didn't label things consistently, but he usually grouped them is a logical fashion, so I was thinking they might belong together.

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance!

Bob

post-162706-0-36588600-1463514422.jpg

The red stripes are Navy hash marks, 1 bar per four year term of service, displayed on lower sleeve.

I could see the other being navy, the shape resembles a propeller screw, but it's not one I know.

I could see the other being navy, the shape resembles a propeller screw, but it's not one I know.

Turn it the other way and it reminds me of a radiation symbol.

But when were hash marks used that were 9" long? That's what's stumped me. Can find them 5.5" long, but none longer.

My Dad had some items from as far back as the Indian Wars... these patches confuse me as I'm trying to re-group the collection by time frame too.

Thanks for replying!

Bob

But when were hash marks used that were 9" long? That's what's stumped me. Can find them 5.5" long, but none longer.

Pretty sure CPO hash marks are longer... but not 9".

Just looked and CPO should be 7" long. Looking at the ruler in your photo the hash mark starts at 3" and ends at 10".