26th Artillery

vzemke

Swollen tongue

This was my unit in Vietnam in IFFV at An Khe. I was an artillery survey party chief.

It seems that only it's Headquarter and Headquarters Battery was in country, why was only the HHB there, where were it's other batteries???

Swollen tongue

I can't answer that question for you. I was a young kid and I know we did work for the 1st CAV and MACV. We were a target aquisition battery. I am pretty sure we had some batteries on LZ hills near AnKhe but that's all I remember. Did do surveying for classified maps 20 miles south of Pleiku. I do have about ten of these patches.

I can't answer that question for you. I was a young kid and I know we did work for the 1st CAV and MACV. We were a target aquisition battery. I am pretty sure we had some batteries on LZ hills near AnKhe but that's all I remember. Did do surveying for classified maps 20 miles south of Pleiku. I do have about ten of these patches.

Hey thanks, say would you want to post those patches here it the topic?

Swollen tongue

The patches I have are exactly the one you have posted here and came from vietnam during my time there.

1SG_1st_Cav

Target Acquisition Batteries (TAB) had several small TAB Detachments that were deployed to several different locations across an Area of Operations.

Swollen tongue

1SG

Thanks for the input and info.....anything else you can tell about it would be appreciated.

• 5 years later...
George Kenneybrook

Served with that unit at AnKhe from 70-71 . Do you remember Tabkey the monkey ? I have been looking for one of those patches for over 50 years since I lost mine

George Kenneybrook

Served with that unit at AnKhe from 70-71 . Do you remember Tabkey the monkey ? I have been looking for one of those patches for over 50 years since I lost mine

George and Swollen Tongue: Was your Primary MOS: 17Alpha? 17Alpha is Target Acquisition Combat Surveillance. 

In 1969, I completed AIT (17Alpha) at Ft Sill, Oklahoma.

• 1 year later...
Airborn stranger

Served from 69-70, we had those patches. Looking for anyone who was a part of the “dirty thirty” during that time.

On 5/16/2016 at 10:22 PM, vzemke said:

Long Range Survey Platoon, 8th Target Acquisition Battalion, 26th Artillery

Vietnamese made

post-781-0-27237400-1463451773.jpg

Wouldn't it would be a battery rather than a battalion?

3 hours ago, atb said:

Wouldn't it would be a battery rather than a battalion?

It's official designation in those days is  8th Battalion, 26th Artillery (Target Acquisition), previous post was Fort Sill Oklahoma. So the 8th TAB is essentially a local application of the units designation we should think. A curious organization, only it's HHB was In Country, and they seem to have functioned as a TGT ACQ unit rather than one of it's Batteries, which evidently remained behind at Sill. 

There was one other TGT ACQ unit of the 26th Artillery In Country, C Battery 2nd Battalion 26th Artillery from Fort Bragg North Carolina, it shows up in October 1967, but oddly leaved the RVN in February 1968, that is it's Guidon leaves the RVN, because the unit is redesignated as F Battery 26th Artillery in February 1968, they leave in July 1971.

One more unit, but this one is a Firing Battery, F Battery 26th Field Artillery (Provisional 105mm Howitzer Towed), formed from some of the assets of the 1st Cavalry Division's 1st Battalion 21st Field Artillery in June 1972, they serve with that Separate Brigade of the Cav that stays behind, the 3rd Brigade 1st Cavalry Division, and later still Task Force Garry Owen formed by the 1st Battalion 7th Cavalry, they all leave in September 1972.