Green painted 20 rd.Colt AR-15 Mags Alloy Follower

jw517

I just bought three OD green mags from a fellow who got them with a AR he bought YEARS ago. Anybody ever hear of green painted Colt mags sold with a original rifle? It was a long time ago cause he bought the gun new,from a dealer for 447.00.

A picture would help. I've seen some 20-round magazines that had kind of a light green hue to them, but they weren't painted.

When you said "YEARS" ago, I was thinking maybe 1960's...but I guess I'm getting old, because I remember Colt AR's selling for that amount around 1984...

David Albert

[email protected]

I tried to harvest the pic from the site but it won't work. I guess I'd take the guys word for it that they came with the gun. Wonder if Colt sent them out like that though .

Wow,your right. That's over 30 years ago. I'm OLD!

I'm thinking if they have alloy followers they can't be factory. They would be black plastic at that time ,correct?

Are the mags stamped with 5.56 or .223? That will help with how old they are. If they're the old .223 stamp the alloy followers would be correct as well as the earliest runs of 5.56 stamped floor plates.

You are correct sactroop. I can't see the floor plates well enough to read them. I'll know more,and take a pic on Friday maybe. Seems odd a dealer would spray paint mags. If they are home painted I think I'll strip it off somehow. Don't know how to strip aluminum though. Zip-Strip works well on steel but I think it would SMOKE aluminum.

Linedoggie

I just bought three OD green mags from a fellow who got them with a AR he bought YEARS ago. Anybody ever hear of green painted Colt mags sold with a original rifle? It was a long time ago cause he bought the gun new,from a dealer for 447.00.

I used to spray paint all my mags (20 & 30 Rd) OG Green.

Gave it a bit of camo, easier to tell mine from another joes, and killed the shine of worn off anodizing.

When I get them I'll post a pic. The paint looks fuzzy like powdery. It's just odd. If you went to Cabelas and bought a AR and they handed you green mags your eyebrows would go up.

Ya know, it's not really green,it's grey/green and it reminds me of the scabbard texture of my Colt M-7 bayonet!

It's like wrinkle paint but ceracoat like. Hard,thick coating and is stamped UI on the side,(universal ind.)

It's not a paint of the same type used on military vehicles is it?

Seems to have that flat colored appearance that US vehicles did in the 80s and 90s.

No,it has a REAL texture to it. Not a wrinkle paint but darn close. I guess if no one has seen it before it's a home job.

No,it has a REAL texture to it. Not a wrinkle paint but darn close. I guess if no one has seen it before it's a home job.

Dont look factory to me

Me neither. While we were chatting today I decided to strip off the green paint. Underneath was a real mil- spec mag! Look!

post-159439-0-78088300-1464038116.jpeg

Yeah! I was a bit concerned about the black floor plates and the zip strip but it didn't touch any of the aluminum. It just rolled the clock back to what they were. (Lucked out)

• 2 months later...