U. S. Army Mackinaw Coats 1907 to 1919

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Officers’ Mackinaw Coat

Officers of the U.S. Army were afforded a great deal of freedom in respect to purchasing their uniform and equipment. This was especially so in regard to the choice of footwear and outerwear.

The officers who served overseas in France with the AEF, were given even more latitude when it came to wearing non-regulation and clothing of a more comfortable or stylish nature. Therefore officer’s clothing from the WW I period can run the gambit from regulation issue to off the shelf to tailor made and all the way to the extraordinarily unique.

Photo No. 26: At right is a Type I Mackinaw worn by a captain from the 28th Infantry Division. Next is either a commercially made or privately tailored Mackinaw with pointed pocket flaps that belonged to a 1st lieutenant in the 32nd Division. Last is another Type I style mackinaw worn by Colonel William J. Nicholson at Fort Sheridan, Illinois in 1917.

Right hand photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

Center photo courtesy of Bay State Militaria.com

Left hand photo courtesy of the Chicago History Museum

post-5143-0-76591900-1463383231.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 27: The two, four pocket Mackinaw Coats on the left were more than likely commercially made items that were purchased off the shelf. The single breasted example on the right with a 1st lieutenants sleeve rank was again either commercially or tailor made.

post-5143-0-11237000-1463383279.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 28: All three of these Mackinaw coats are of officer quality and were either commercially or tailor made. The right hand example features pointed pocket flaps while the other two have Type I style open pockets The black cuff braid on both the left hand coats denote the rank of a 1st lieutenant. The right hand coat’s brown cuff braid represents the rank of 2nd lieutenant.

Center photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

Right hand photo courtesy of the National World War I Museum

post-5143-0-49430500-1463383330.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 29: The Mackinaw style coat worn by the Munitions Officer of the 79th Division at right, is in fact a cut down khaki cotton, officers’ Trenchcoat.

Douglas Macarthur (center) who was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General on June 26, 1918, commanded the 42nd Division’s 84th Infantry Brigade. Here he is wearing a tailor made Type I style Mackinaw Coat with a button loop, flat belt end and open pockets.

At left is Brigadier General Samuel Rockenback, the commander of the AEF Tank Corps. His commercially or tailor made Mackinaw incorporates an unusual stitching pattern, as well as flapped pockets and a button loop on the collar.

Left hand photo courtesy of the National World War I Museum

post-5143-0-03887400-1463383477.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 30: This particular style of officers’ short overcoat is frequently, and incorrectly, referred to as a Mackinaw Coat. However, it is not a Mackinaw Coat, it is in fact an “Officers’ Short Overcoat” … or to be more precise, a short, double breasted, officers’ overcoat made of drab moleskin, lined with sheepskin.

The Army permitted its officers to wear this type of short overcoat only in the field and at training camps and cantonments. The Officers’ Short Overcoat was a strictly private purchase item. It was worn during the Punitive Expedition in 1916, at many stateside training camps in 1917, and it could be seen throughout the entire AEF in 1918 and 1919.

post-5143-0-27161000-1463383529.jpg

world war I nerd

Mackinaw Miscellaneous

Photo No. 31: In the October 1918 edition of Textile World a “Mackinaw Overcoat” was mentioned thusly:

The War Department announces that a mackinaw overcoat has been adopted and will be issued to the men of the Tank Corps in place of the overcoat now used.

Textile World, Vol. 54, No. 15, October 12, 1918, page 01

The use of the words “Mackinaw Overcoat” as opposed to the words “Mackinaw Coat” may just be a matter of semantics. Or it may be informing us of the official name of U.S. Army overcoat bearing a shawl collar that was unlike any other regulation overcoat that was devised and issued during America’s involvement in WWI.

I’m wondering if the extract from Textile World could in fact be referring to the overcoat on the left, whose design may have been influenced by the Mackinaw Coat shown to its right as they both have similar collars and similar pockets … hence the name Mackinaw Overcoat.

Right hand photo courtesy of the Charles Thomas collection

post-5143-0-37051600-1463383596.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 32: According to a report on U.S. Army clothing worn by the AEF compiled in by the Medical Department:

The jerkin was a waist coat made of sheepskin or lambskin, lined with woven-woolen melton kersey or mackinaw cloth of a weight varying from 26 to 32 ounces per lineal yard of 54-inch material.

Medical Department of the United States Army in the World War, Vol. VI, Sanitation, 1926, page 624,625

The plaid fabric inside the two leather jerkins shown below is an example of the above mentioned Mackinaw cloth, which was initially destined for civilian use, being appropriated by the military and used instead as the lining for military jerkins.

Right and left hand photos courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-47901100-1463383655.jpg

world war I nerd

End of Post. Thanks for looking, and be sure to add comments and or additional information regarding the content and speculative nature of this post … World War I Nerd

Well done, Nerd! I think you have provided a great foundation for further investigation. I think, in large part, these coats have gone unnoticed. Perhaps, a few collectors will dig them out and check for specification tags to add to this thread. Looking forward to the new information.

Thanks so much for taking the time to sort this out. You are building a vast wealth of knowledge for collectors and researchers!

John

world war I nerd

Photo No. 33: Forum Member Dragoon sent me a link to the now expired Ebay listing which had additional photos of the 1907 Canvas Pea Jacket. Here is both the front and back of the Pea Jacket issued to work parties wearing fatigue clothing circa 1907.

post-5143-0-60342200-1463469291.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 34: The Pea Coat turned inside out showing its dark blue wool lining. Note that there is a storm flap and corresponding button on the underside of the collar. At right is a close up of the collar and the San Francisco Depot & the inspector's acceptance ink stamp located on the inside of the left hand pocket.

post-5143-0-43140500-1463469642.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 35: A side view of the Canvas Pea Jacket; a close up of one its bronze, rimless eagle buttons, and a full view of the Ogden illustration depicting U.S. Army winter clothing circa 1907. The soldier the upper right hand corner is thought to be wearing the Canvas Pea Jacket.

post-5143-0-74585700-1463469953.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 36: A front and side view of another Type I Mackinaw Coat. This one bearing the shoulder insignia of the 85th Infantry Division, a red Discharge Chevron and one gold Overseas Service Chevron. The coat has all the classic features of the Type I style ... i.e. button loop on the collar (it's hard to see, but it's there), open pockets, no cuff straps; however, it does have a pointed, rather than flat, belt end.

Photos were posted on the Forum some time ago & forwarded to me by Dragoon

post-5143-0-31782000-1463470449.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 37: Dragoon also led me to a link on French Ebay that had additional photos of the 1918 Mackinaw Coat shown in photo No. 23 of this post. Here is a close up of that coat's wool lined collar and the storm flap on its underside.

post-5143-0-30652900-1463470851.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 38: More detail shots of the 1918 Mackinaw Coat shown in photo No. 23 of this post. At left from top to bottom is a bronze, rimmed eagle button and button loop; the coat's belt and a belt loop; and the location of the contract label on the inside of the left hand pocket. At right is a view of the 1918 Mackinaws interior showing some sort of khaki or olive drab cotton twill lining.

post-5143-0-05357600-1463471282.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 39: These photos, which came to me via Forum member Dragoon, depict an officers commercially manufactured Mackinaw Coat. Its features more closely resembles the Type II style coat, but with additional pockets thrown in for good measure! However, it does have a Type I style button loop on its collar. This coat's Type II features are comprised of pointed pocket flaps and a pointed belt end. The two side "slash" pockets on either side, located above the belt were a common addition to both commercially and tailor made Mackinaw Coats.

post-5143-0-09665300-1463471995.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 40: A side and interior view of the above commercially made officers Mackinaw. Note the manufacturer's label on the coat's lower, left hand side. The black cuff rank is that of a captain and the green band sewn around the lower, left hand sleeve is an unofficial adornment to indicate that the wearer served as a company scout or guide overseas.

The decorative band's size, shape and color mirrors that of the special 1 1/2 inch wide armbands that were adopted by the AEF on November 11, 1917 and worn on the lower left sleeve of the of the service coat in combat. Other colors included: Red - orderlies & messengers ... Blue - agents & signalmen ... Yellow - carrying parties ... White - trench cleaners ... Khaki with the word "Salvage" in red - salvage parties.

Thanks Kurt for the all of the new image additions.

post-5143-0-43715100-1463472818.jpg

Brian this is some great work, thanks for the time and effort you have put into this, much appreciated.

Just to add to what you have already stated in post #30 with regards to the officers short overcoat, the following is taken from the "Regulations For The Uniform Of The United States Army 1917" page 43.

post-693-0-71700400-1463473225.jpg

Brian,

Loved this post! Awesome work, but I would not expect any less from you than awesome work. What's next on your to do list??

And, I can't wait to see what gets added to this post from other members such as Dragoon's additions. Great input Dragoon...!

This is one of those elusive items that I can't wait to get my hands on...

Glenn

world war I nerd

John, Kurt & Glen, thanks for taking a look and posting the kind words. Your comments are much appreciated.

As for what's next? Hmmm, it could be one of the many irons I currently have in the fire ... such as ponchos & raincoats, overcoats, pre WW I service coats, medals & awards of the AEF, AEF independent engineer regiment shoulder insignia, AEF anti-gas clothing and equipment , and garrison caps are all in various stages of completion.

Any preferences?

Thanks to all for looking.

Brian,

You could probably guess my preferences considering my penchant for Great War foul weather clothing and overcoats...!

However, I am dying to find an original raincoat and would like to know what to look for...same goes for the poncho...

The anti-gas clothing sounds interesting as well...!!

So much to choose from...

Glenn

• 7 months later...

I just found this interesting coat found on an enlisted man in France inspecting some serious ordnance. This fellow belongs to wither an artillery or Infantry organization (can't make out the disc) in the 29th Division (came out of a collection of photos taken of the 29th).

post-97349-0-27860300-1483908228_thumb.jpg

post-97349-0-73401100-1483908236_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Todd, great images of an enlisted man (which many of them did) wearing the so called "Officers' Short Overcoat". Thanks for adding them to the thread.

• 3 years later...

Someone said they found this image elsewhere on the forum, but didn't mention where.

This does not show a short mackinaw, but it shows a coat that seemed relevant for this great thread. Great shot of overshoes in use too. I'm guessing by the M1905 scabbard that this is pre-war.

126207643_208760980687175_5470590739492137569_n.jpg

• 3 months later...