PTO id'd Corpsman M1 with Hawley liner

jasonm

Recent Ebay purchase that arrived last week. Just starting to get some research in but this is what I've been able to find out so far.

Carl Junior Braman was from Davis City, Iowa and was a Pharmacists Mate 1st Class with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing.

post-12853-0-04679600-1463327438.jpg

post-12853-0-84458400-1463327448.jpg

This is the info his son posted on the WWII Memorial Registry:

MARINE CORPSMAN, PHARMACIST'S MATE 1ST CLASS. SERVED 2 TOURS OF DUTY. THE FIRST INCLUDED ACTION IN THE SOLOMON ISLANDS INCLUDING GUADALCANAL, RUSSELL ISLANDS AND BOUGAINVILLE. HE SUFFERED A BROKEN KNEE ON ONE OF THESE ISLANDS DURING A NIGHT BATTLE AS HE DASHED ACROSS AN OPEN FIELD WITH ENEMY TRACER BULLETS FLYING EVERYWHERE. HE WAS REHABILITATED IN THE SOLOMON ISLANDS BECAUSE THERE WERE A LACK OF CORPSMEN. ANOTHER HARROWING EXPERIENCE OCCURRED WHEN ALL MARINES IN HIS PLATOON WERE ORDERED TO THEIR FOXHOLES AT THE BEGINNING OF AN ENEMY NIGHT ATTACK. WHEN HE JUMPED INTO HIS FOXHOLE THERE WAS A JAPANESE SOLDIER WAITING FOR HIM. IN THE ENSUING FIGHT THE JAPANESE SOLDIER WAS KILLED AND HE SUSTAINED A SEVERE WOUND ON HIS BACK. HE THEN SERVED ON THE ISLANDS OF SAIPAN, JAVA, TINIAN, OKINAWA AND FINALLY JAPAN WHERE HE HELPED LIBERATE PRISONERS OF WAR. AS A MEMBER OF THE SECOND MARINE AIRCRAFT WING, HE RECEIVED THE PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION RIBBON AND STAR FOR HIS SERVICE DURING THE OKINAWA CAMPAIGN FROM APRIL 4 TO JULY 14, 1945.

Corpsman Braman is buried in Corvina, CA where this helmet was discovered at a yard sale just a few weeks ago.

www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque.aspx?honoreeID=1911333http://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque.aspx?honoreeID=1911333

Hope to add more information once records are received from Golden Arrow Research and local libraries. Thanks for looking. jason

post-12853-0-15450400-1463327734.jpg

post-12853-0-99533900-1463327742.jpg

1972firebird

Thats a great lid, has a rare liner, and a great story. It sure has been through alot!

• 3 years later...
ArchangelDM
1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

What is the yellow mark on the back of the helmet?

I also saw that 

• 6 months later...

Hello Jason,

This is Jeff Braman. You own my Father's Marine helmet and liner. Did you receive Carl J. Braman's service record? If so, how may I receive a copy? The best way to reach me is - [email protected]

Thank you,

Jeff