Combat!

mikie

I just stumbled on a retro TV network showing a couple of episodes of Combat! Wow, I don't think that I've seen this show since I was a kid...a looooong time ago. Not the greatest thing for accuracy, but I'm high on the nostalgia trip right now.

Mikie

It's definitely fun to watch old shows like that. Years ago I had bought some of the DVD collections of combat when they were released, as this show is well before my time. I thought they were good. One I have never seen is Rat Patrol. There are a couple of these new 'retro' channels that just sprung up it seems....... I actually caught several Baa Baa Black Sheep squadron episodes on the one day, might of been the same network running Combat. I love watching those, esp the flying scenes!

I love that show! I used to watch "Combat!" when I was a kid back in the 60's with my Dad. A few years ago I bought the 1st season on DVD, but didn't buy any of the subsequent seasons because they were pretty overpriced. Once I found it was playing on the H&I Network, I started recording them and have been watching them regularly ever since. You're right, not super accurate, but nostalgic and classic 60's TV. I think the BAR man Kirby, by the end of the series, would have had around 50 Purple Hearts and Sgt. Saunders Thompson never runs out of bullets :D

BILL THE PATCH

You can watch most of the combat shows on YouTube. They also have the rat patrol, Twelve o'clock high, and a few more I can't think of right now.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I have the entire first season of RAT PATROl, it's pretty cheesy but entertaining

lots of the shows are very similar and predictable, almost like a comic book, the Rat Patrol seems to always find ways to infiltrate behind enemy lines and dress up in German uniforms and get inside the German camps and sabotage the enemy camp and escape without a scratch

and the US Sgt had many chances to kill the German officer in charge and he always spares his life in every episode, almost like he's an old friend, very comic book like.

BILL THE PATCH

The "german" in the rat patrol series is Hans gudagast, and he changed it to Eric braedon. And is a famous soap opera person

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...

Reviving an old thread!  I have been watching Combat! on the Heroes & Icons channel now for a few years.  Love it!  I watched it as a kid back in the 60's and I am enjoying watching it again.  My wife knows that every Saturday, I will be watching two hours of Combat!.  It is followed by two episodes of Rat Patrol and then 12 O'Clock High.  I think Combat! has held up the best of all of them.  I know when we were kids, we all wanted to be Sgt. Saunders when we played war.  I even had a Mattel Tommy Gun.  I think over the years I went through three of them.  I still have two of them in the basement.  But they are the green camo ones.  My favorite one was the Dick Tracy Mattel Tommy Gun because it was black and brown and looked more like the one Sgt. Saunders carried...

I'm again enjoying watching Combat and Twelve O'clock High. I'm sure I watched them all in the 60's along with millions of WW2 vets. Maybe, though, the vets didn't watch them. Still enjoyable.  

On 5/19/2016 at 5:30 PM, BOLO said:

I have the entire first season of RAT PATROl, it's pretty cheesy but entertaining

lots of the shows are very similar and predictable, almost like a comic book, the Rat Patrol seems to always find ways to infiltrate behind enemy lines and dress up in German uniforms and get inside the German camps and sabotage the enemy camp and escape without a scratch

and the US Sgt had many chances to kill the German officer in charge and he always spares his life in every episode, almost like he's an old friend, very comic book like.

Don't forget the Rat Patrol knocks out Afrika Korps M7 Priests SPH by throwing a grenade at them while firing fifties with no sights and carrying Spanish Star Z-45 SMG's

Hans Gudegast is now Eric Braeden and a Soap Opera star for "The young and the restless"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
RANDALL 1953

Me & my Dad watched it every week. He was a Sgt. in the US Army's Combat Engineer Battalion and fought in The Battle Of The Bulge.