Kiowa Warrior

swag

Couple questions regarding this thread...

Would that Huey be one of the ones most likely used by and turned in by some U.S. National Guard unit that transitioned over to Blackhawks?

Maybe. OLR at Ft. Hood/Killeen has, or had, a huge boneyard of Hueys. State Department acquired several and had them converted to Huey II configuration, but most of the Huey II fleet are UH-1s that State already had in their Air Wing and had converted.

So, the Huey above is probably an ex-US Army UH-1H, but how long ago it fell into State's hands would be impossible to say without looking at the books.

Also, back in the I think late 1980's / early 1990's, the Army had an MOS which I think was called Aeroscout Observer or something similar. It was a crew position on the OH-58's if memory serves me right, and was I think too basically an enlisted flying spot. Does that MOS still exist for the OH-58 field, or is it an all "commissioned", i.e. warrant and regular officer affair now? I had strongly considered that MOS in my youth, then went to the Marine Corps instead...

Dead. They are all cooks and infantry, now.

The Huey is one of sixteen UH-1Hs gifted to Iraq by Jordan. During 2006 and/or 2007 it was refitted as a Huey II by U.S. Helicopter in Ozark, Alabama. More info HERE...

Going by the serial number, 66-16971, it began life as a UH-1D... I have no info as to its service with the USA or Jordan, other than it wore the number '825' while with the Jordanian AF.

Fade to Black...

The Huey is one of sixteen UH-1Hs gifted to Iraq by Jordan. During 2006 and/or 2007 it was refitted as a Huey II by U.S. Helicopter in Ozark, Alabama. More info HERE...

Going by the serial number, 66-16971, it began life as a UH-1D... I have no info as to its service with the USA or Jordan, other than it wore the number '825' while with the Jordanian AF.

Fade to Black...

Excellent dig!

• 1 month later...

I've got about 1,200 hours in a Huey, loved it and wish I could fly it again some day. However, with that said, I wouldn't want to be flying it in Iraq. They used to have a slew of them down in Taji for awhile. You steered clear of them, you didn't want to take a chance of the insurgents, being piss poor shots, trying to shoot one down and hitting you by accident!

I wouldn't want to be flying it in Iraq.

I've taken many rounds in a Huey, and always came out just fine.

I've found it's not so much the airframe, it's how you fly it.

• 1 month later...

There was a group from Longknife Troop, 4/3 ACR in Bosnia when I was there that had a patch that read Berut y Pichka in Cyrillic. *grins* Anyone here that knows Russian or Serbian might be able to decypher that... then you can grin too... I always laughed when I saw them in the PX or around post wearing those things... people around them were oblivious...

Wayne

Two of my favorite Kiowa images from Saddam's Parade Ground, Baghdad Iraq, OIF 1, 23 August 2003. I was there reenlisting and these guys hovered in for a photo op. The Pilot dropped off his observer to take the pics after hovering around for us to take some first. Maybe not as good as the "Patch" ID pics, but pretty great pics...

Wayne

post-3743-1228781187.jpg

post-3743-1228781209.jpg