Some Navy SEAL related patches

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,

A few recent finds are these two SEAL related pieces,one P.I made,the other from Taiwan.Sellers pics.

post-13386-0-65747200-1463187627.jpg

I wonder if these were made for I believe his name was Tom Clinton who was heavily into UDT and Seal Team insignia in the 1980s. He was supposedly supplying a couple of the teams with their insignia that were being made in the Philippines. He showed me some US made insignia that came from these teams that they no longer had a need for since they were being supplied with the newer stuff from Asia.

Patchcollector

According to the notes on the backs,each patch was purchased in different countries,years apart.I'm thinking that they are Vet pickups.

According to the notes on the back Seal Delivery Vehicle was renamed Swimmer Delivery Vehicle. Take the patches for what they are not a note written on the back of them

Patchcollector

Here's some info taken directly from the US Navy SEAL Museum:

"Until formation of the Naval Special Warfare SEAL Delivery Vehicle Teams in 1983, they were known as Swimmer Delivery Vehicles in Navy doctrinal publications. "

So,both designations are correct.

Here is a link to the US Navy SEAL Site where I obtained the info:

https://www.navysealmuseum.org/home-to-artifacts-from-the-secret-world-of-naval-special-warfare/seal-delivery-vehicles-sdv-manned-submersibles-for-special-operations

• 3 weeks later...

Both are current knock offs. UDT 22 Design never was used as a patch during the time team was in service. Tonomachi is correct, Tom Clinton had both the UDT and SDV made (the computer made one) which were some were sold to the team thru Mike W. The patches sold by Tom were of much better detail than the UDT show by the poster. The one shown is the knock off with lettering made to look like it was done by hand. The Phillies made is just that, made in the PI for collectors. Never used by the Team ,which never were in the PI. As for those prices, holy cow, How many originals do You want?

Patchcollector

Thanks everyone for all the comments and opinions.Here's my view on these patches;I don't take these pieces too seriously as all of these type SEAL related patches are "novelty" pieces,no matter where and by who made.None of these type patches were ever mission worn "by the Teams" that I'm aware of.I think of them as "souvenir" pieces.
As for where and when mine were made,I see no reason to disbelieve the info that came with these patches.Units and individuals can,and do,order patches from Companies based in places that the units were never stationed.
As far as looks are concerned,I prefer mine over the other one posted!

Thanks everyone for all the comments and opinions.Here's my view on these patches;I don't take these pieces too seriously as all of these type SEAL related patches are "novelty" pieces,no matter where and by who made.None of these type patches were ever mission worn "by the Teams" that I'm aware of.I think of them as "souvenir" pieces.

As for where and when mine were made,I see no reason to disbelieve the info that came with these patches.Units and individuals can,and do,order patches from Companies based in places that the units were never stationed.

As far as looks are concerned,I prefer mine over the other one posted!

Well, the one I posted is still sewn to one of the blue submarine "poopy suits" that I wore on many submarine underway periods and deployments while assigned to SEAL Delivery Team TWO. We wore the poopy suits when we weren't diving to blend in with the crew...and they are really comfortable. The SOP was to wear gold name and US Navy tapes with the SDV patch on the pocket. No trident. We got the patches from the team as I remember.....