D-Day type Life Belt?

Monroe

How about this then, further proof they could not keep the nomenclature simple for us collectors. :lol:

From the "NATIONAL DIRECTORY OF COMMODITY SPECIFICATIONS: Classified and Alphabetical lists and brief descriptions of specifications of National recognition" Issued June 30, 1945.

"U.S. Gov., Joint Army-Navy Specification JAN-P-45; 1944. Preservers; Life, Belt, Self-Inflating, Dual-Tube."

Ah but note the first word "Preservers" with the other two following suit. Often you will find a slight change in nomenclature when specifications change or transfer and in this case from Navy department to Joint A/N. Being familiar seeing many different service specifications this style is what I typically see with Joint A/N specs. The first word being the primary description then a semicolon.

P-40Warhawk

This is easily the best thread regarding these preservers on the internet.

Dustin and P-40Warhawk,

You guys are making it so much more interesting than I could have imagined when I posted this thing.

Lots of numbers and designations I need to read through a few more times to really understand what is being so generously offered here.

I can relate somewhat from my experience helmet collecting. Common names given to German camouflage helmets such as "Normandy Camo", implying the helmet was actually in combat in Normandy, or any helmet with hand painted insignia being accredited to use by Volksturm troops in Berlin.

Such terms and descriptions creep into the collector lexicon and have the potential to affect perceived value if taken as some sort of official German terms for identifying a helmet.

The connection to the Merchant Marine caught my attention as my father was in that service during the war and my understanding is that they had a high casualty rate by percentage of personnel who served.

That was also impressive that the patent application was also sourced and shown here.

again, I appreciate the interest in this topic and the crash course on everything I didn't know I wanted to learn about the belt.

Mike

That's the purpose of the forum for discussions and many topics should be revisited as new information continually surfaces.