BB&B Marked Sterling Wings

IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST

Hi all,

I am curious about a couple of things. First, is this a known wing design for this maker? If so, what about the manufacturer marking...legit? think.gif BTW, I did not take these photos.

Each of the letters seem to be individually punched compared to the sterling mark. Was this firm known to contract out their work, only to stamp their name on the piece later?

IMPERIAL QUEST

Last two.

Notice that there is no shear line on the edge. Would this attention to detail be an indicator of hand-finishing, which one would see coming out of a firm like BB&B...or does it indicate a very good casting?

I'm no wing expert . but I like that wing. It's a Bailey Banks and Biddle wing that I would assume is from the 30's. The marks look good to me.

Kurt

IMPERIAL QUEST
I'm no wing expert . but I like that wing. It's a Bailey Banks and Biddle wing that I would assume is from the 30's. The marks look good to me.

Kurt

Thanks for the reply Kurt. The marking kind of threw me, as I would expect something a little "cleaner" from them??

I am interested in knowing (besides the makers mark) why this is considered a BBB wing? I have the same pattern wing and have see them often but never with the BBB mark - only a raised sterling mark.

Additionally I have noticed some wings that as far as I know are from an unknown maker show up with the BBB mark which raises a red flag for me.

The wing below looks like someone added the BBB in my opinion.

Thoughts

USArmyAirGunnerBB_BRaisedSterlingF.sized.jpg

USArmyAirGunnerBB_BRaisedSterlingR.sized.jpg

I agree here, John. Looks like a later Stamped "BB&B" logo, done in an attempt to increase its value. Have seen many of this pattern AG Wing but never one marked as such. thumbdown.gif Bobgee

Here is a couple of thoughts. First, here is another BB&B wing posted on Bob Schwarz great website on WWII wings ( http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/pilot/bbbaafpilot.shtml )

You can see that the pattern is similar and from what I can see, the hallmark placing and size is similar. The pin and catch are a bit different, but that may be due to general variation in how BB&B did their work.

As to the wing that this post is about, the BB&B hallmark seems ok except that the first "B" seems off and crooked. That doesnt seem to be the case with other BB&B wings. Outside of that, I wouldn't really have a great deal of problems with this wing being what is seems to be, a BB&B made wing. I do think it is likley a war-time wing, and not a 30's vintage wing. The catch and hinge look like the stuff used on the WWII vintage jump wings. On the other hand, the gunner wing is likely a fake, IMHO. Especially considering where it is being offered.

P