Goose Bay patches.

rustywings

rustywings

I'd like to share my small collection of Goose Bay related USAAF & USAF novelty patches and ask what other patches are out there? I think the USA - Canada relationship depicted on each patch is very cool. It reminds me of the "Children Of A Common Mother" inscription on the Peace Arch!

IMG_7246.JPG

rustywings

This WWII era USAAF/RCAF patch is beautifully made and has a "Crest-Craft" label on the back.

IMG_7248.JPG

IMG_7250.JPG

Sweet! I lived in Goose Bay from in the early 70s (Whitman Circle, on USAF side). Was isolated, but a great place, especially as a kid.

I've always loved that Crest-Craft patch, been keeping an eye out for a while, but always seem to get outbid, and lately it's been harder to find.

rustywings

A nice early USAF/RCAF patch with F-86's depicted. Are there similar Goose Bay patches out there? Please post them.

IMG_7253.JPG

rustywings

Sweet! I lived in Goose Bay from in the early 70s (Whitman Circle, on USAF side). Was isolated, but a great place, especially as a kid.

I've always loved that Crest-Craft patch, been keeping an eye out for a while, but always seem to get outbid, and lately it's been harder to find.

Wolfhound, do you remember days like this?

b81494c664f0692ea228cd119c8463941.jpg

Wolfhound, do you remember days like this?

Oh yes. Not positive, that shot looks like a view of the Bowling Lanes and Arcturus theater, but looks reversed.

I remember being able to walk out my second story bedroom window in order to shovel snow away from the doorway. Used to have to plug in the engine block to keep it from cracking. When we were there, it was RAF, RCAF and USAF. They'd have a winter carnival involving snow sculptures and lots of drinking games between the squadrons. If you could stand the cabin fever and constant dusk in the winter, it was actually a great place to be stationed. I really loved the smaller bases like this one and Camp New Amsterdam, much more of a closeknit community feel than the larger bases.

Bill Scott

Russ some great looking insignia I love the wool felt pair.scotty

rustywings

Thank you Scotty.

The pennant is adorned with a six inch wide print on cloth disk... and a label on the back stating, "Army Air Forces Aid Society."

IMG_7243.JPG

IMG_7245.JPG

Patchcollector

Nice pieces.I've always been interested in the US bases north of our border,to include Greenland and Iceland.

I'd like to share my small collection of Goose Bay related USAAF & USAF novelty patches and ask what other patches are out there? I think the USA - Canada relationship depicted on each patch is very cool. It reminds me of the "Children Of A Common Mother" inscription on the Peace Arch!

Here's a couple more USAF ones. These go together, and fell under Air Defense Command. The GADS was around from 1960 until 66 or so.

Randy

post-8832-0-34497800-1463101666.jpg

post-8832-0-81149100-1463101678.jpg

Hey Rusty, you've started another great thread. I've always been interested in the Goose Bay Labrador patches. The Canadian embroidered felt on felt jacket patches are very distinctive and well done. I've seen a pennant and the one that you posted is great.

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm interested to see if other forum members can add to the discussion. Gregg

rustywings

Here's a couple more USAF ones. These go together, and fell under Air Defense Command. The GADS was around from 1960 until 66 or so.

Randy

Excellent examples Randy! Thank you for your efforts.

Here's an early USAF image of a flock of F-84's at the ready at Goose Air Base:

F-84Fs at Goose Bay..jpg

rustywings

A couple of more Goose Bay jacket patches with the CAN - USA reference. The patch on the right is an early one with that 1943 date.

Goose Bay.jpg

Proud Kraut

A Luftwaffe training wing was deployed to Goose Bay from 1980 to 2005. I found a couple of these patches in my trade box.

GB1.jpg

GB2.jpg

GB3.jpg

Old Marine

That wool Goose Bay patch is gorgeous. That is an incredible amount of detail work on that patch. Thanks for posting it.

rustywings

Thank you Gents. I appreciate your contributions to this thread as well.

While searching for Goose Bay patches at the Pomona show last weekend, an advanced and respected collector told me patches depicting geese are particularly sought after by Asian collectors because of their "Good Luck" symbolism, as well as their militaria collectibility. Interesting stuff!

Please post-um if you got um...

Here you go. The 59th Fighter Interceptor Sq. was at Goose Bay from 52-66. This one is an early 50s era example, meant to be worn on the chest. They operated F-94s when this patch was worn.

Randy

post-8832-0-27257200-1463199900.jpg

rustywings

Here you go. The 59th Fighter Interceptor Sq. was at Goose Bay from 52-66. This one is an early 50s era example, meant to be worn on the chest. They operated F-94s when this patch was worn.

Randy

Randy, the combination of chenille and chain-stitching makes for one handsome 59th FIS patch!

Attached are a few 1952 dated images of the 59th FIS design on their aircraft at Goose Bay.

59FIS%20%2021.jpg

59FIS%20f941.jpg

F-89JCSeevers1.jpg

Nice pics. The top 2 look like F-94s, the bottom is an F-89 witch would make it after 1955. I love the old jets!

Randy

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I saw all these beautiful Labrador patches and I wondered are the depicted ones in post 2 / 3 and 17 Novelty patches ?

doughboy