firefighter

Does anyone happen to know when the Turner Joy was assigned to DESRON 13? It would be cool to pin point a date for this lighter.

That is an awesome collection. I love the personalized engravings on some of them (especially the "I am an alcoholic" one). The submarine lighters are great. That Grayback is awesome to me simply because it was such an odd boat. Started out as an attack sub, then converted to launch Regulus missiles, then made into a transport to deliver SEALs. They did a mission during Vietnam to rescue American POWs... it didn't work out though (Operation Thunderhead). There were other APSS boats (troop transport) but I think Grayback was the only LPSS (amphibious transport). Your lighter depicting her as LPSS-574 would have been when she was a SEAL delivery boat sometime after 1968.

Does anyone happen to know when the Turner Joy was assigned to DESRON 13? It would be cool to pin point a date for this lighter.

Looks like she was assigned to DesRon 13 from early 1960 til late 1961.

Following a pre-shakedown goodwill cruise to Central and South American ports and shakedown out of San Diego, Turner Joy began, early in 1960, duty as flagship both of Destroyer Squadron (DesRon) 13 and Destroyer Division (DesDiv) 131.

In October 1961, the destroyer was transferred to DesDiv 191 of DesRon 19 and assumed duty as flagship for both.

USS Perch is another odd ball. She was converted to an APSS and actually delivered British commandos during the Korean War (they blew up a train tunnel or something). In Vietnam she did a few amphibious landings.

USS Swordfish was blamed by the Russians for sinking K-129 back in 1968. This was right before the Scorpion was lost at sea. The Swordfish showed up with sail damage and a bent scope right after the K-129 was lost. The official story was that Swordfish got the damage while surfacing under ice. There were all kinds of crazy things going on under the seas back in those days. There is talk that an agreement was made between some of the top brass of both countries... like "you got one of ours and we got one of yours so let's call it even". Seems odd that a Russian sub would mysteriously sink to the bottom and 2 months later the Scorpion is lost under similar circumstances...

Very nice collection of lighters Ernie !! Very under appreciated since all the anti smoking advertising in the past years. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Mitch

firefighter

ZSMITH thank you for ALL the information.If I remember right e Perch was an LPSS during Korea then was made an LPSS in the early 60s.The Capt was the ONLY sub officer during the Korean War to receive a medal for heroism(Bronze Star), the raid on the train tunnel.There is a great book about subs during the Cold War. BLIND MAN'S BLUFF. Great reference book too. It lists awards for subs from 1958-1998.

Mitch Thank you.You are correct about the lighters being under appreciate, unless its a Vietnam Zippo.

On 19 January 1948 Perch was redesignated as a Submarine Transport, SSP–313

On 31 January 1950 Perch was reclassified a "transport submarine," ASSP-313

Perch, again classified as a Submarine Transport, APSS-313, on 24 October 1956

SSP, ASSP, and APSS were all designations for transport submarines. LPSS was a designation for AMPHIBIOUS transport submarine. I'm pretty sure Grayback was the only sub every designated LPSS.

I have a copy of Blind Man's Bluff which I really need to read again. I'm a former sub guy so I spend quite a bit of time reading books about the subject. Mostly I read WWII-era books but I really should dive into Cold War stuff more... and even some of the odd assignments from the Korean/Vietnam eras.

firefighter

On 19 January 1948 Perch was redesignated as a Submarine Transport, SSP–313

On 31 January 1950 Perch was reclassified a "transport submarine," ASSP-313

Perch, again classified as a Submarine Transport, APSS-313, on 24 October 1956

SSP, ASSP, and APSS were all designations for transport submarines. LPSS was a designation for AMPHIBIOUS transport submarine. I'm pretty sure Grayback was the only sub every designated LPSS.

I have a copy of Blind Man's Bluff which I really need to read again. I'm a former sub guy so I spend quite a bit of time reading books about the subject. Mostly I read WWII-era books but I really should dive into Cold War stuff more... and even some of the odd assignments from the Korean/Vietnam eras.

Very cool. Thank you for the info. I have a joke a bout submarines but I'll keep it to myself. :D WW2 sub history is very cool but the Cold War stuff is amazing. A lot of spying and classified stuff.

I have a joke a bout submarines but I'll keep it to myself. :D

What's long, hard, and full of seamen?

WW2 sub history is very cool but the Cold War stuff is amazing. A lot of spying and classified stuff.

When I went in (1999) there were still plenty of old chiefs that had been around since the Cold War days. I heard a lot of interesting tales...

firefighter

What's long, hard, and full of seamen?

When I went in (1999) there were still plenty of old chiefs that had been around since the Cold War days. I heard a lot of interesting tales...

LOL!! No not that one. Submarines, 100 men go on board and 50 couples return. :)

• 3 weeks later...