German Capture Flag

KVSkelton

I had wanted to add a capture flag to my collection for many years and late last year I was able to do so. This Kriegsflag was brought home by the soldier from Los Angeles. With help from Golden Arrow Research (thanks Geoff!), I was able to track down his unit, which was the 312th Field Artillery Battalion of the 79th ID. I haven't been able to find much on the other signers, unfortunately. If anyone has any leads on the other soldiers, I'd love to hear them. Just thought I'd share. Thanks for looking!

Kevin

post-7504-0-58252800-1462975273.jpg

post-7504-0-38743700-1462975290.jpg

dhcoleterracina

Cool flag, soldier marked examples used to hurt values but now they are considered more valuable.

Cool flag, soldier marked examples used to hurt values but now they are considered more valuable.

That's interesting because to me, a signed flag makes it more attractive. The only fear that I would have is some dude picking a flag up at an auction and then going after it with a sharpie. Maybe that's why signatures devalued them in the past.

Thanks for the replies guys! I agree that the men behind the signatures make a capture flag.

Thanks firefighter! I have Rhodes' personnel file from St. Louis. He was in the 312th FA Battalion (79th ID) and arrived in Europe in early January of 1945. I have been unable to find anything about the other soldiers, unfortunately.

Thanks for the well wishes Mike! I tend to go overboard on research on items if given the chance. ;)

Kevin

firefighter

Outstanding! Thank you very much, firefighter!

Kevin

Thanks sundance! I agree about the signatures...

Thanks Mike! I was very happy to find out the unit of the soldier who brought the flag home and now firefighter has given me information on another to start digging on. You know that'll keep me busy for a day or three. ;)

Kevin

Great flag. Better to have history of who captured it than who had pride in displaying it before capture. My opinion.

Great flag. Better to have history of who captured it than who had pride in displaying it before capture. My opinion.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, RyanWWII! Thanks for the kind words.

Kevin