Broken 1903A3 firing pin rod

Chris_B

Attached.

So, that happened today. Suggestions for a good, blued, replacement source? Already replaced with a spare parkerized firing pin rod.

post-3065-0-91869600-1462840916.jpg

Maybe one of the Milsurp rifle sites?

Some old school gunsmiths may have parts too.In this area many use to work and sporterize the rifles.

Not sure if you contacted SARCO or Numrich Arms if you could get them to pick one out that was blued.

Thanks Doyler. No, I didn't, not yet. I tried the Collector Source but every time I try to order, no matter what state I pick as my state, it changes to Alabama! So my order gets flagged and not processed. I mean, I like Alabama just fine, I just don't live there...

Chris

if you cant get one sourced I may be seeing a old dealer friend on friday and I can check his stock.

Got a line on a blued replacement. Supposedly here in a few days.

Thats great.

I saw them over to Numrich site and were very reasonable but they didnt say if they were blued

I also saw a few other places that had blued and parked ones....but you couldn't choose, it was whatever they picked first. I don't complain much about people conducting business how they have to, but that seems silly. At least say 'we might be able to get you your preference but no guarantee'. I like to feel like a customer, not a bother, especially with a part like this; millions must have been made and its not a high-pressure sales arena given the price.

Anyway, I have one on the way. Thanks again for offering to help.

True

Im guessing same way with Numrich.

Years ago they were taking requests to fill the order.Dont know if they still offer that service though

All's well that ends well I guess. And truthfully, if that 73 year old piece of steel was going to fail, I am happy it happened in my living room with a dummy round- it really did me a favor if you think about it. My luck is weird.

Easy enough fix, now I just get to wait some more.

This is the exact reason you DON"T fire original collectables. It always amazes me when folks just have to fire these pieces and risk breakage. If you have to fire something, use a modern rifle!

The same thing with original jackets and clothing.

Thanks for the input Ron. I'm glad to have been able to amaze you. The CMP might be interested in your take on their matches, give them a call. Since you've been so free with your advice, I wonder if you can take some yourself:

There's a difference between being helpful and telling people what's wrong with what they do and say. I seriously doubt you'd speak to me like that if we were face to face, so please do me the courtesy of being the tiniest bit respectful of other members here on the friendly and supportive USmilitaria forums.

Have a great night.

I don't see why I wouldn't? What I said was true and sorry you could not take some criticism . If you did not want advice, don't post your mistake.

bellasilva

My 73 year old Garand shoots like a dream, and has consistently for the past 10 years I've owned it

My '43 03A3 breaks about as often now as it would when new. Otherwise they wouldn't have needed to make so many spare parts a replacement costs 15 bucks in 2016. I bought me one of them heat treated steel rifles, not a glass one.

Turns out my '43 M1 Carbine and my '44 M1 rifle are in the same boat too.

I don't think I'll be shooting any vintage clothing anytime soon though. I'm not sure what I'd use a modern rifle for with a jacket anyway.

Brian Dentino

My 73 year old Garand shoots like a dream, and has consistently for the past 10 years I've owned it

Hey, mine too! And my 1920's 9mm Luger! And my 1943 8mm Mauser! And my 1944 Mosin.....and, and, and................why not fire them, they were very well made to shoot. Then and now.......

Rakkasan187

I don't see the point of collecting an arsenal of old guns and then never firing them...Waste of money in my opinion..

My Garand, Carbine, .45, K98 Mauser, Arisaka, Moisan, Enfield rifles are all working just fine, no need not to fire a 70 year old weapon..

Breakage could happen to my brand new rifle with 10 rounds fired out of it just like and older weapon with 1000's of rounds put through them...

If it they were good enough to take care of my grandfathers and father, then they are good enough for me...

Chris... Hope the part comes in soon so you can continue enjoying your timepiece....

Leigh

if the fire arm is sound and you like shooting. shoot it. use new made ammo that is within spec. and not souped up.

or don't shoot it. be happy

Rakkasan187

if the fire arm is sound and you like shooting. shoot it. use new made ammo that is within spec. and not souped up.

or don't shoot it. be happy

+ 1

Leigh

Thanks for the support guys. I have one vintage firearm that I pull the trigger on practically never. It's a safe queen with range visiting privileges, and it only fires seven rounds every July 4 or maybe every other one - my 1918 production US Property Model of 1911. They have 'soft' slides and the breech faces can peen, so I make some noise with it seven times, and that's that. Then I clean it spic and span and inspect the breech for signs of peening.

With this broken firing pin rod, it seems like an unusual failure to say the least. The knurling on this broken one makes me think it might have once been in an 03; I have to check my reference. My current replacement is the 'diamond' knurled type which seems correct for the 03A3. In any case, it works correctly and that's my first goal: correct operation.

In the interests of full disclosure, I feel the assumption had been made that I was mindlessly toying with a collectible, original rifle. I first fired an M1903A3 when I was nine, in 1980. My Father instilled in me respect for firearms as a child, and I do not play with them. Next, the rifle I placed the bolt in is not an original collector piece. It is a mass-produced military surplus M1903A3 made by Remington in 1943, but this rifle was sporterized before I got it, and I made a 1903A4 clone from it. I have described this rifle here in some detail, previously.

Parts sources in the USA-

Sarco

Numrich

Springfield Sporters

Northridge International

Bill Ricca

Bookmarked!

Charlie Flick

Hi Chris:

In my parts box I have a couple of spare Firing Pin Assemblies. See quick pic below. The top one is R marked (meaning Remington) while the bottom one is unmarked as far as I can tell. You can have either one of them for $35 shipped.

Send me a PM if this is something that works for you.

Regards,

Charlie

Firing Pin Assembly ed.jpg

Charlie, much appreciated. I received my replacement yesterday. I don;t need one right now but if lightning strikes twice, I'll take you up on it.

Charlie Flick

OK, Chris. Understood. Glad to hear that your '03 is back in action.

Regards,

Charlie