Vietnam era wrist compass

sjw83071

Recently I noticed a photo that included a wrist compass in a layout of gear. I have one of these that I have had for many years. It has no markings at all on it. Does anyone know anything about these? I don't think it is military issue, but still pretty cool to have one and then notice one like it in the photo:

post-154098-0-62577000-1462834692.jpg

Then I noticed this today. 2 photos of Col. George S Patton IV wearing what appears to be the same or similar type wrist compass. He has a watch on his left wrist

post-154098-0-81416400-1462834882.jpg

post-154098-0-40491600-1462834884.jpg

Those are military compasses.

Spike thanks for the reply. Do you know anything else about this type of compass.? I thought it strange that it has no markings. Thanks

I ran across that picture while looking for information on Vietnam gear. I saved the picture and then later remembered that I didn't have the source or exactly what I was looking when I found it. The picture may have been on this forum, but I don't think it was. Anyway, I think it was a display of items that troops might carry while in country.

The picture that started this topic is a shot of gear SOG guys carried. I'm sure it's in 1 or 2 SOG books. I think I've seen it before.

I don't know anything more about this compass. I have one and I have pics of SEALs and UDT guys using them and as has been shown, many other soldiers used them. So these are not specific to any one unit or group.

These compasses might have been made by Silva.

I have looked and I cannot find the source of the picture of gear. Also searched for other pictures that show a similar wrist compass and cannot find anymore.

Finally found a source for the first photo!

It attributes this photo and several others to gear carried by MAC-V SOG.

So at least we have that. I still want to know more about this compass.

Interesting story on how I got it- When I was probably around 5 or 6 (1976 or 1977 thereabout) my father bought a cow trailer and I found this compass hanging on the rails of the trailer. I asked the seller about it and he said I could have it. I have always wondered if it was military or at least a style used by military, so this is exciting to me.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1478880_MAC_V_SOG_1st__2nd__and_3rd_line_gear___PICS.html&page=1