Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am researching early jet age helmets circa 1945. Found this helmet and I just can't ID this decal. I am almost certain it is gas/oil related but all my searches have come up empty. Anyone know what this logo is?

BTW I am awaiting the helmet but I am told it is a heavily modified M-1 inner liner.


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are called speed balls.A common theme on motorcycles.Harley Davidson used them in metal form as a saddle bag decoration in the forties.







Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the ID. I searched the web and did in fact find some things that are really close to the Speedballs but nothing that matches "exactly". Honestly, I think your ID is spot on. Given the size and the design, they really do look like they could be tank decals for a Harley. What else has a left and right side? But... the military often appropriates things for their use. Just wondering if anyone has seen something like this in military use. I am thinking 1945-50 early jets (P-80 and F-80). Maybe F-84.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.