Trying to ID this decal

Bluespicker

Bluespicker

I am researching early jet age helmets circa 1945. Found this helmet and I just can't ID this decal. I am almost certain it is gas/oil related but all my searches have come up empty. Anyone know what this logo is?

BTW I am awaiting the helmet but I am told it is a heavily modified M-1 inner liner.

post-153154-0-60498300-1462811690.png

They are called speed balls.A common theme on motorcycles.Harley Davidson used them in metal form as a saddle bag decoration in the forties.

Bluespicker

Thanks for the ID. I searched the web and did in fact find some things that are really close to the Speedballs but nothing that matches "exactly". Honestly, I think your ID is spot on. Given the size and the design, they really do look like they could be tank decals for a Harley. What else has a left and right side? But... the military often appropriates things for their use. Just wondering if anyone has seen something like this in military use. I am thinking 1945-50 early jets (P-80 and F-80). Maybe F-84.

These are not H-D made. More than likely an after market item used to personalize ones machine.Good luck finding a military connection. :)