Troop entertainment radios

BC312

I was wondering if there were more types of moral boosting troop entertainment radios other than the R-100, URR radio set. I remember there being a wooden version which someone on another forum copied and made their own set. Can anyone help.

Thanks Ben for showing your radio, very nice bit of equipment you have there. It's a wonder I couldn't find it on the web as its been known as a 55D2 when it's actually a SSD2. Are these quite a common radio or hard to find.

I would say that they're quite difficult to locate. I only know of a handful that are around, and most of them are in collectors' hands.

Thanks,

Ben.

• 2 weeks later...

What were the rules and regulations of using these radios and private purchase radios in the barrack room and in combat situations ie during R&R. I have heard that some radio operators using their military sets did tune into broadcasts during a quiet moment depending if the radio was strong enough to pick it up. I was wondering if there was any reference to this. Anyone know.

Hue Miller

Nice radio. I have seen lots of morale radios, but this is a new one to me.

On the second part, i recall reading about a German infantry column moving forward, oblivious of a U.S. armored column waiting in ambush,

and some of the German troops were carrying playing radios.