US pilot helmets - Hanoï War Museum

stmerry

Captainofthe7th

How nicely displayed.....I think one displayed nicely would look better than a pile of them.

Great helmets nonetheless, sorry my first thought was a negative one. I really like the camo one, seems like some thought was put into that. Is it a spider on the back?

Rob

Too bad the US Air Force can't contribute a decent display. If only to help contribute to a fair representation of the war for their kids.

But having piles of enemy stuff is typical for war museums. The russian war museum is supposed to have a glass coffin full of nazi medals.

Boots are not USAF for sure.

20070821087su5.jpg

Too bad the US Air Force can't contribute a decent display. If only to help contribute to a fair representation of the war for their kids.

I'm sure we would, if they'd allow it.

They get mileage from making it look as junky as possible.

BTW, that glass cabinet appears to be situated in a storage room, not on display.

Museum storage practises & techniques, especially in history museums, would not make you proud 85% of the time anywhere in the world.

I specialized in that professionally, for more than 35 years.

A friend of mine was in Viet Nam several years ago.He went to a museum I believe in Hanoi.As for organized displays he stated at the time he was there it appeared that the displays were nothing more than stuff piled up on the floor.He mentioned flight helmets all in one mound and a sign placed in front telling of the items being captured/taken.Him being a patch collector he also saw piles of insignias.He stated it appeared that the North Vietnamese moved a tailor shop from Siagon and dumped it on the floor.He said it was kind of comical reading the sign displayed.It said something to the effect of the Ameicans forcing the People in the South to make these items as if we had enslaved the people of the south.

RON

Not a storage room. On display with S.A.C. sculpture. Few more views for you. And believe me some USAF vets are contributing to. Good or pityful display, it's up to you.

20070821088mx5.jpg

20070821090ua4.jpg

20070821092lx8.jpg

It sure does LOOK like storage though, eh?

What do you mean by saying, "...some USAF vets are contributing to." ???

Which vets? How? When? What?

Not a storage room. On display with S.A.C. sculpture. Few more views for you. And believe me some USAF vets are contributing to. Good or pityful display, it's up to you.

What do you mean by saying, "...some USAF vets are contributing to." ???

Which vets? How? When? What?

A lot of USAF, Army and Marines veterans organizations and their families used to come here in Vietnam. They have now pretty good relationship with vietnamese authorities and collaborate for a better understanding of this part of history. Don't know how, when and what, but one of these vets give that to the museum :

dscf8073ht9.jpg

One another famous US Citizens pilgrimage : The Hanoï hotel of Senator McCain for 5 and a half years.

dscf6302cc0.jpg

A lot of USAF, Army and Marines veterans organizations and their families used to come here in Vietnam. They have now pretty good relationship with vietnamese authorities and collaborate for a better understanding of this part of history. Don't know how, when and what, but one of these vets give that to the museum :

I see what you meant now... I thought you were saying that the display you showed was the contribution of specific USAF people etc.

Vietnam Veterans for Peace was originally an organization whose purpose was to fight and lobby to get proper VA medical care for returning VN GIs... it changed from that mission, in the late 1960s.

I see what you meant now... I thought you were saying that the display you showed was the contribution of specific USAF people etc.

Vietnam Veterans for Peace was originally an organization whose purpose was to fight and lobby to get proper VA medical care for returning VN GIs... it changed from that mission, in the late 1960s.

O.K. but as a french speaking guy, my english language is little bit poor. Need practice...

Thanks but I'm speaking english like "Pepe Le Pue" cartoon character...

your not too bad i can understand it pretty good, ive meet english speaking people that are harder to understand lol

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the museum in 1999. At least back then, it didn't seem that there was any real desire for authenticity - just political statement. Maybe that's changed some now - at least I hope so.

I also visited the Hanoi Hilton. Most of it is now gone - only a few of the cells and chanbers were kept in tact. Interestingly, the displays are designed to reflect interrogation techniques supposedly used on the Vietnamese by the French. All of the prisoners are Vietnamese - not Americans. Go figure.