Army ASTRONAUT WINGS

firefighter

firefighter

I only took a picture of the master wing. The others are marked just like this one.

Posted Image

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

firefighter

Jay you're welcome.Thanks for checking them out. Do these look like the mid 70s production?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Unlike most other services with a dozen or so aviation related badges, The Army only has 3 - Aviator, Flight Surgeon and Aviation (previously called the aircraft crewman badge) badges. Army astronauts who have not previously been awarded an Army aviation badge are awarded the Army Aviation Badge, and the astronaut device is added after a qualifying space flight.

I’ve never seen an Army Aviation Astronaut badge, and I think it has only been awarded once or twice.

Found this on the internet;

Since 2011, the Army has awarded exactly 2,454 Basic, 500 Senior, and 125 Master Space Badges, and some of those recipients are counted three times, as they earned each badge. Connolly says there are just 330 officers in FA40 at the moment, making the Army Space Badge a rare sight.Mar 7, 2017

And we can't forget Maj. Heally the first Army astronaut (if you are too young to remember him, google it)

Found this on the internet;

Since 2011, the Army has awarded exactly 2,454 Basic, 500 Senior, and 125 Master Space Badges, and some of those recipients are counted three times, as they earned each badge. Connolly says there are just 330 officers in FA40 at the moment, making the Army Space Badge a rare sight.Mar 7, 2017

And we can't forget Maj. Heally the first Army astronaut (if you are too young to remember him, google it)

He wore AF wings on an Army uniform in the first season.

• 10 months later...

Here's a photo of the army's first Astronaut Robert Stewart in 1978, he starts his astronaut training in July of 1978 Marshal Space Flight Center, According to his WIKI became an astronaut in August 1979, also according to his WIKI, he is awarded the Army Astronaut badge after flying on his first mission in outer space, not upon graduating from the course, first mission was STS-41-B Challenger, February 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Stewartstew.jpg.22c43f36b5d82b1b22bc4e8b05feed22.jpg

image.png.4f3a383d15c3753e2d871a50cfcf0b6f.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 8:38 PM, patches said:

Here's a photo of the army's first Astronaut Robert Stewart in 1978, he starts his astronaut training in July of 1978 Marshal Space Flight Center, According to his WIKI became an astronaut in August 1979, also according to his WIKI, he is awarded the Army Astronaut badge after flying on his first mission in outer space, not upon graduating from the course, first mission was STS-41-B Challenger, February 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Stewartstew.jpg.22c43f36b5d82b1b22bc4e8b05feed22.jpg

image.png.4f3a383d15c3753e2d871a50cfcf0b6f.png

Thats cool. Thank you

• 1 month later...

Riddle me this: NASA astronaut Mark Vande Hei, a US Army Engineering branch officer, wore the standard NASA civilian astronaut wings in about 98% of photos, and more recently, he wore the US Army Aviator badge with the astronaut device.

The reg says that any Army soldier appointed as an Astronaut, who has not previously been awarded an aviation badge, will be awarded the US Army Aviation Badge (formerly the aircraft crewman badge). Once the astronaut flies, the astronaut device is added to the Army Aviation Badge.

Col Vande Hei was not a rated Army Aviator, so I am wondering why he wears the Aviator version of the Astronaut badge. Col Andrew Morgan is a rated Army Flight Surgeon and wears the astronaut version of the flight surgeon badge. Several USAF astronauts wear the astronaut version of the Navigator badge or Officer Aircrew badge.

I’m not sure if ANY Army Astronaut has ever been awarded the Aviation Badge w/Astronaut device, so it might be as simple as Gibson & Barnes not having one to embroider on his nametag. My other thought is that, knowing how much flight training astronauts receive (they get quite a bit of training on turboprop trainers with the Navy), the Army might have simply awarded him the Aviator badge.

I’m not trying to be a Karen about this. I’m just wondering why. He probably deserves the Aviator badge considering all the flight time they get, plus several space flights.
ba15fe527b9518f4856aeafcaeff55e0.jpg

346c68b55d87fac0d8bbd122684499b9.jpg

• 1 year later...

Does James S. Voss have the Army Astronaut Badge? Unless I missed it his Wiki makes no mention of it, and can not find a image of him in his uniform.

easterneagle87

The big picture on the bottom of post #17 has him wearing the Air Force version, not the Army version. AF wings have high shoulders on the wings and Army wings are more straight and pointy at the ends, not rounded.