Vietnam flak vest with compass pouch pictures?

TheFortunateSon

TheFortunateSon

I am looking for picture evidence of soldiers wearing a 3/4 collar flak jacket or m69 flak jacket with compass pouches or any other alice clip-using field gear on them without using suspenders. There is a part on the vest above the pockets where you can slide alice clips into and I have not been able to find any pictures of soldiers using this. If you have any photographic proof of this being any practice, please let me know. Thanks!

The_Brick

Those loops were normally designed for grenades, but I can see the connection to the mounting of pouches to those loops.. I haven't seen any pictures of troops mounting ammo pouches or compass pouches to those loops. Might I ask what type of set up you are going for?

-Dave

TheFortunateSon

I'm just going for a mid to late war army setup, and since my vest is a size too big for me I've been trying to find ways to wear it comfortably, and this was a good way to do it without scrunching the vest with suspenders. Thanks for the help, I would not have guessed they were for grenades.

The_Brick

If you're shooting for an infantry impression I would highly recommend just ditching the vest. They rarely wore them considering the heavy rucks they had to hump, and the vests just help create a sauna. If you are shooting for a soldier on guard duty, an MP, vehicle crew member, artilleryman or mortar man, or door gunner impression you could justify wearing the flak vest.

-Dave

TheFortunateSon

Ok, thanks! I kinda like the look of the vest, but I could definitely see problems with humping a rucksack. Hopefully some day I can afford a rucksack...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-05533900-1560252594_thumb.jpg

members of the 1st Signal brigade in Qui Nhon 69 or 70. Picture by Sgt. Christoper D. Ammons