CADILLAC TANK PIN

firefighter

Very interesting - thanks for sharing this. We used to call the gunner's controls "the Cadillacs" and I wondered if they made those. Pretty sure they did as well as other components (Cadillac Gage?).

firefighter

Thanks 12A54. I was told they made the engines but I'm sure they made other parts.I use to have a oval, name type, patch with the same design.Wished I kept it, would have looked nice with the lapel pin.

trenchrat1918

Thanks 12A54. I was told they made the engines but I'm sure they made other parts.I use to have a oval, name type, patch with the same design.Wished I kept it, would have looked nice with the lapel pin.

Cadillac produced M5 Stuart tanks and M5A1 's at their plants in Detroit and South Gate California as well as M24 Chaffee's and M-8 motor howitzer carriages. They also supplied engines to other manufacturers such as Massey Harris and the American Car and Foundry Co. The Cadillac V8s went into M5 and M5AI Stuarts, M24 Chafee's, M26 Pershing's and Marine Corps LVT's.

I'm on the move right now so I can't look but I believe there are 2 or 3 versions of this very cool production award.

firefighter

Trenchart thank you for the information. I thought it was a service award not a production award.Thank you again.

trenchrat1918

Trenchart thank you for the information. I thought it was a service award not a production award.Thank you again.

You very well could be right, it may be a service award. I have not found a lot of information on these pins or the reason they were awarded. Hopefully one of the other forum members can supply more info.

Wes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Cadillac produced the M-24 Chaffee Light Tank from 1944 until the early 50's. These pins were given out as production awards and as publicity pins. They were made by the Weyhing Brothers Company of Detroit. I've sold several different variations. Gold, Gold Plated, Pin Back, Screw Back, hallmarked and no hallmark. What they all seem to have in common is a fine attention to detail. Here's a photo of one of the screw backs.

post-124172-0-96984700-1479957482_thumb.jpg