WWII field pack suspenders question.

bheskett

I have been looking around the forum trying to find a good image of the suspenders that were issued with the M-1944 pack and if there was a separate set for the M-1945 pack. What I have gotten is that the original type that was issued with the M-1944 pack has no extra padding on the underside while the later version did. My question is, when did the suspenders with the padding start getting issued? I have seen elsewhere them refereed to the M-1945 and also the M-1951. I use the M-1944 title only as a way to make it clear what set I am asking about. I can not find any reference to a later model in the 1946 QM catalog.

Thanks Bob

After some more digging I think I founds the answer to my own question. The suspenders for the field pack (M-44) were not changed until 1950 when extra padding was added to the strap's underside. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

Bob

Well the question is back up. I picked up two pair of the newer suspenders, with padding, from E-Bay both dated 1948. Does anybody have the specs on these?

Bob,

I just pulled out both M1944 and M1945 pack systems from my stash. They used the identical mechanism to connect to the suspenders to carry the packs on the back. My M1944 suspenders, which fit both packs perfectly are Olive Drab, and marked Hoosier. It appears that one side is dated 1944 and the other side is dated 1945. They do NOT have any padding on them. See image attached.

Unfortunately these are the only pair of M44 suspenders I have and my opinion is that the manufacturers made M1944 suspenders in the years 1944 and 1945 to the identical pattern to carry both variations of packs. As far as padding is concerned, there were removable pads available to cushion the shoulders on many types of packs and suspenders. I have attached an image that shows a 1945 dated pad slipped over the strap of my suspenders and separate for your inspection. I believe the military then modified the M1944 suspender pattern to add padding sometime post war, obviously prior to 1948.

I hope this helps.

Bob

post-299-0-08585600-1463492807.jpg

post-299-0-95850400-1463492819.jpg

Thanks, I am leaning towards the padded suspenders were made post WWII but pre Korean War. I have two sets both dated 1948.

Bob

For what it's worth. The patent on the M1945 pack system shows what appear to be unpadded straps. It was filed in 1946 but issued in 1949.

Tim

post-192-0-62533400-1463500890.jpg

Tim

Great find. This seems to answer the question. Thanks for finding the diagram. If you don't mind where did you find it?

Tim

Great find. This seems to answer the question. Thanks for finding the diagram. If you don't mind where did you find it?

Google patent search. You can search by key words (haversack, knapsack, infantry etc) or patent number if you know it.

Tim