Paramarine....Silver Star Recipient

TLeo

Not much else doing this morning so here is my last uniform aquisition for awhile as I intend to cut back on them. It will take a while to get the files and restore it but it is named and dated to his rank as a Colonel in 1958. Research of the muster rolls so far confirms he was a Paramarine, graduating from Lakehurst and being assigned Co. A 2nd Bn. 1st Para Regt. He is also carried on the Raider's roster and a muster roll entry confirms he was attached to the Raiders from 1st Para Regt. in July of '43. I also found that he accompanied Krulak's Raiders on the Chosieul raid.

I'll post more photos and details of his service and his name once restored but he ended up on Iwo with 3rd Bn. 28th Marines where he was wounded seriously and awarded the silver star and then served well into the mid 1960s. Below is a link to his citation....This may have ended up down graded from a Navy Cross as the 5th Division history book shows him as awarded the Navy Cross but Blakeny's and this citation only show the Silver Star.

http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=38811

post-5081-0-81765500-1462631903.jpg

Looking forward to the restore. Dress mess jackets are fun

They are fun to do and for some reason you don't see many. Since the file isn't archival it will probably take a while to get it from St. Louis. Once I do get it I should be able to fill in a lot of blanks. I want to find out if he was at Guadalcanal since he was with the Paramarines early enough to have been there and I'm sure he was at Bougainville as well.

They're an optional uniform at most commands, so far less of them were purchased and worn than the rest of the uniforms

Chutesandskulls

He was not at Guadalcanal I just checked my rosters. But my research does show him as a Navy Cross recipient at Iwo Jima.

Chutesandskulls

Second Parachute battalion just did a raid at Choiseul they were in reserve for Bougainville but never landed.

He was not at Guadalcanal I just checked my rosters. But my research does show him as a Navy Cross recipient at Iwo Jima.

Second Parachute battalion just did a raid at Choiseul they were in reserve for Bougainville but never landed.

Thanks for that info about the raid on Choiseul. There are gaps in the muster rolls and I haven't had time yet to try and compare it all to certain operations so I guess the file will fill in what I need to know. That is interesting about the Navy Cross so hopefully the file will clear that up as well. Where did you find that information?

Chutesandskulls

I have some of the paperwork from the old Marine paratrooper association including rosters and award lists. It shows him as a Navy Cross recipient.

I have some of the paperwork from the old Marine paratrooper association including rosters and award lists. It shows him as a Navy Cross recipient.

Okay, thanks. That is interesting for sure. I wonder why Blakey doesn't show it? Oh well....

Chutesandskulls

If you have any more questions about his time with the paratroopers let me know.

Okay, thanks. That is interesting for sure. I wonder why Blakey doesn't show it? Oh well....

Like you said, it may have been downgraded