USN 8th BEACH BATTALION - RARE

firefighter

firefighter

I got this patch around 1985. I always thought it was a novelty one. Then years later o found it in a MILITARIA magazine. The author stated that ONLY 500 were made, for local wear. But the BN CO thought it looked to "Army" and ordered them to be removed. So this would be pre-Operation Dragon.

^

Posted Image

Posted Image

stealthytyler

I thought I read somewhere that this might have been the 8th Construction Battalion instead of the 8th BB? Does anyone have photos of sailors wearing this patch? Cool patch though! Thanks!

stealthytyler

Whats interesting is that I have a letter written home from a 4th BB sailor and he drew his platoons insignia... it was an 8 ball. Not sure if there is a connection but it seems that many units used this look?

stealthytyler

The 8th Construction Battalion is not the 8th Beach Battalion. I wonder if this patch is for the Seabees?

By the way, the 8th BB was held in pool at ATB Oceanside for Beach Battalion school. Here is the remains of the 8th BB at end of 1944 and into the beginning of 1945:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/259449-8th-naval-beach-battalion-roster-book-w-photos/?hl=%2B8th+%2Bnaval+%2Bbeach+%2Bbattalion

stealthytyler

This is NOT a Seabees unit patch.It is for the 8th Naval Beach Battalion.

I would appreciate some form of proof. I would love to see some photos and such. Im really interested... thanks guys!

firefighter

I would appreciate some form of proof. I would love to see some photos and such. Im really interested... thanks guys!

I would post part of the article but I do not want to get in trouble with the author. But if you think this is a see bee unit can you show proof of that?

firefighter

See post #1. The 8th Naval Beach Battalion and it's patch.I see the eight ball but I do not see the design shown here.If you look at the article you will see the patch and what the author says about it.

stealthytyler

See post #1. The 8th Naval Beach Battalion and it's patch.I see the eight ball but I do not see the design shown here.If you look at the article you will see the patch and what the author says about it.

Can you explain what the author says? Was the author an 8th BB vet? Thanks!