1943 era model railroad layout

willysmb44

I'm still pondering where the Army unit sign will go but I think this works. Really, the sign should face completely away from the viewer but from this angle, the viewer can see it and it does make some sense why it would be placed like this:

49371400062_ae44a62673.jpg

If it stays there, I'm going to make a pile of earth around the feet of the posts, to show where it'd been recently placed there.

This is the graphic I used, though printed out you just can't see all the detail I put into it:

49365587026_8c7d3ed963_m.jpg

This is the image I used, and I have decided that I will be making a small run of patches from this:

49365799172_7d63c833b9_m.jpg

Over the weekend, I was busy with a bunch of detail stuff.

I took a couple of coaches I bought it a show for next to nothing, Christmas patterns, and turn them both into Maintenance of Way cars. I didn't really need them, and I probably won't use them in any op sessions, but I just wanted to mess around with them because I had almost no money in them.

49412241447_1e53aa70be_w.jpg

49412243962_6ea46e6902_w.jpg

Take a look at the soda bottles in the pallet, each was an individual piece. That took quite a while to get those together...

49411565653_e75dafc88f_w.jpg

I also added a LOT of new detail, including some tarps, tarped loads, damaged oil drums, and several other things...

49412183797_cfc4788772_w.jpg

49412184477_8df0d364c4_w.jpg

I also ran my trench locomotive:

Excellent job, Lee! I would love to see some more close-ups of the details. Keep up your fantastic work.

I'll see what I can do about the detail photos.

Meanwhile, I did a couple of new videos last night:

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Not long ago, I uploaded these:
https://youtube.com/shorts/dlz8xPvy1xs

https://youtube.com/shorts/JcKgQkb6vMs

I also completed a water tank made from a Bachmann On30 2-6-0 tender shell and a water plug set with some other detail parts.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52697544925_c306c923df_z.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52697128236_9ac32d3733_z.jpg[/img]

The nozzle for the locomotives on the far side, facing away from the people looking at the layout.

I also got a couple of magazines covers this year.
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52827964661_a9f50ea9bd_c.jpg[/img]
I had no idea this one was coming. This was one of two proposed cover shots I'd sent them last year with an article on my layout. The editor chose what I agreed was the best of the two but said he liked this one as well and would use it later.
This issue has no layout article, so it makes sense and I'm glad it wasn't used instead of someone's layout photo from the inside of the issue!
It's now framed.

Congratulations on recognition well deserved.

When I was in college one of my summer jobs was weighing outbound coal cars at a Western PA mine.

Each hopper had to weigh the same.

• 1 month later...
willysmb44
12 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Amazing work, what did you do for the corn field?

20220903_223922-01.jpeg.0ae45b7321192c4ff32ea3f27b8d9eca.jpeg

Thanks.

I used over 400 individual stalks from JTT Scenics. I call it the "hundred dollar corn field" for very good reasons!

manayunkman
48 minutes ago, willysmb44 said:

20220903_223922-01.jpeg.0ae45b7321192c4ff32ea3f27b8d9eca.jpeg

Thanks.

I used over 400 individual stalks from JTT Scenics. I call it the "hundred dollar corn field" for very good reasons!

The corn field is beautiful.

I once built a diorama 1/35 of camouflaged strafed and abandoned vehicles next to a destroyed green house in a patch of cabbages, reminiscent of the Corridor of Death.

I scratch built all kinds of branches plants and flowers.

The tree branches were 100 strands of very thin wire twisted together, covered with putty with miniature dried out leaves from outside glued all over.

Wish I had pictures of it. My cat ended up sleeping on it when my mom took over my bedroom and stuck the diorama in the basement. 

willysmb44

I just found put they used photos from the planning annual for the trackside photos in the next Model Railroader, and my curve shot spans two pages again!

Screenshot_20240119_172500_Drive-01.jpeg.cb1420d01969e4a93c8152f4704c0a06.jpeg

Holly Mackerel!!!! Stunning! When I was a boy in the late 60's I had a tutor who was a retired teacher. Her late husband did his garage up much like this. She offered to give me the whole lay out to me and my parents politely thanked her for the offer, but said no thank you, I was allowed to keep one car from the diorama. I know we didn't have the room for it, but still!!! It's one of those things I never forgot or forgave.

MinutemanEMTer

That's really nice work. I don't read MM as I model European HO/HOm, but that is  the big leagues in the States. Congratulations!

ArtyScout

Congratulations! You deserve this recognition. I remember following this post and love the videos. I understand how you feel since some of my work has made the 'Reader's Gallery' of FineScale Modeler magazine and their website. Again, great work and Congratulations.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Congratulations, you are now published.  I too have followed your thread, It's great to see your compassion for the hobby.

Gregg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...